Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,321   Online: 1028

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Ansco 130

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
    Anyone has experience using Ansco 130 and AZO paper? Thanks in advance.
    I have been using A130 and Azo for several years now and I will say I love it. i get very deep blacks and good separation in the shadow and highlight areas. I use 2:1 dilution as a standard for 2 mins. then go to 1:1 and stock for more contrast. Less contrast? 3:1, 4:1 etc..... and remember never throw out your developer. I have the same developer for two years. I just replenish when it gets low with another bottle of 2:1 diluted developer. Yes it will get black but gives much better tones as it ages.

mike andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know if it's possible to find Glycin in the UK ? I ordered a box of Lodima, so I need to find some Glycin to make Ansco/Agfa 130..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by buze View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to find Glycin in the UK ? I ordered a box of Lodima, so I need to find some Glycin to make Ansco/Agfa 130..
    No dealers stock it as far as I know. Unless a user in the UK has excess they are willing to sell you (midnight; park bench next to the pond; password: "The ducks are flying low this eventide"; come alone...) you'll have to order from The Formulary in the US - a fairly painless experience I have found in the past.

I have two bottles of Neutol WA to get through before I make up any more A130...

Good luck, Bob.

buze....I too have ordered Lodima, and will make up a batch of Amidol as per Michael. However, I have noted increasing posts about the excellent results obtained with other developers used with Azo type papers. I wonder if you have used Ansco 130 before with Azo paper, and if you compared the results with Amidol. Just curious, for obviously other non staining developers are more convenient to use.

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Azo in Ansco 130 is very close to amidol, and other glycin developers I've tried can also be interesting as well--some warmer toned--but amidol gives better waterbath control than glycin. Here are Azo prints in two glycin developers, with some discussion to attempt to describe what isn't coming through in the digitized versions--

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...7748&ppuser=60

If you don't have a supply of cheap amidol and want to try to conserve it, I think a good strategy would be to use Ansco 130, and save up the negs that would benefit from waterbath treatment for sessions using amidol. When I'm using amidol, I usually have a combination of contact prints and enlargements to make, so I do the contact prints on Azo first, then add the requisite amounts of KBr and benzotriazole to the solution to use it for enlarging paper. Efke Emaks is a paper that really benefits from amidol. Most other enlarging papers will also look good in amidol, just not much better than they would in something more common like Dektol.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Thanks for the informative response, as always David!

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by buze View Post
    In the same situation, just ordered the 130 kit from photographers formulary, they can ship kits internationally, not raw chemicals. I ordered the biggest pack they do, so will have plenty if you want to have some.

http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ion=0&langId=0

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cormack View Post
    In the same situation, just ordered the 130 kit from photographers formulary, they can ship kits internationally, not raw chemicals. I ordered the biggest pack they do, so will have plenty if you want to have some.

http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ion=0&langId=0
    I don't think glycin is one of the banned chemicals unless thinigs have changed lately; I and others have imported it in the past. The other chemicals (i.e. all except the glycin) for making A-130 are readily available from Silverprint amongst others.

Please let us know what the final cost works out including shipping, customs fees and VAT etc. It will be interesting to see if shipping the whole kit from the US works out cheaper than just importing the glycin and buying the rest locally - I suspect there will not be much in it.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    I don't think glycin is one of the banned chemicals unless thinigs have changed lately; I and others have imported it in the past. The other chemicals (i.e. all except the glycin) for making A-130 are readily available from Silverprint amongst others.

Please let us know what the final cost works out including shipping, customs fees and VAT etc. It will be interesting to see if shipping the whole kit from the US works out cheaper than just importing the glycin and buying the rest locally - I suspect there will not be much in it.

Cheers, Bob.
    IIRC it's just a few grams.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    IIRC it's just a few grams.
    Ah... Sorry. Warning: local colloquialism at work! "not much in it" meaning "not much difference" between the costs of each option.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin