Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 873

Thread: RE;RC Papers

Shooter
    Medium Format

RE;RC Papers

Re RC papers

I just spent the morning running paper tests using LPD I just mixed . The tests were to see if the different dilutions and times affected paper contrast and tone on Ilford MG IV RC, they didn’t The result pretty much confirmed that the batch of paper I have is developer incorporated .using the simple method of AA’s factorial timing. A print in LPD 1:3 70 degrees should not immerge in full density in 15 seconds! Not when the same type fiber paper is taking 30 seconds to just begin to immerge .The paper I got about 2 years ago, which I kept frozen, was the 40 sheet packages I see still advertised on Amazon. As there seems to be no expiration dates printed on paper any longer it is “buyer beware!”
    Now I question the Arista Ultra and EUD papers being sold by Freestyle. I have used them and they are fine for proofing etc. but seem to react like a developer incorporated paper too
    Incidentally some kind soul sent me an answer as a private message, which I appreciate. However in sending the reply I messed up and lost the message. But thank you. That also is why I will never go digital Computers have mind of their own. Life is tough enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the previous thread I'm sure we mentioned that bromide paper have little flexibility for altering contrast or tone/colour by changing development.

Multigrade IV is essentially a Bromide paper so perhaps your just expecting too much. You can get a shift in contrast using a soft working developer, or a contrast developer, but probably of less tahn a grade in either direction. Simply diluting a developer is not a significant change, you will just need to develop for longer to get the same Dmax. The paper is NOT developer incorporated but is behaving exactly as it should.

Can't comment on the other papers as I've not used them.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for you reply and I have downloaded the articles It's always good to go back to basics every so often
    But I find it hard to believe a non developer incorporated emulsion would fully develop in 15 seconds,which I experienced this morning As far as getting a color change I may be looking for a much colder tone of which the paper is simply not capable of producing,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are the prints nice?

That's the most important thing. The Ilford RC papers are excellent, and yes, they do develop quickly. But if your results are good, the developing time is all but academic.

Cooler tones? Try Ilford Cooltone paper. Or Edwal Ultra Black developer. I've never used LPD, but I know many printers swear by it. Don't know if it's cold tone or neutral.
    You can change the results by diluting your developer, but probably not as much as you'd like. As Ian says, it'll get you a highly similar result, but it takes longer to get there.

Good luck.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the link to Simon Galley's post about Ilford Papers & developer incorporation.

It is quite feasible to develop a non developer incorporated RC paper quickly, and it's dependent on the developer formula, concentration & temperature. I've used a lot of Multigrade IV and it doesn't process in 15 seconds in the developers I use.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is `RE paper´?

rmolson,

I guess you meant `PE-paper´ (Polyethylene-laminated). And there is `RC-paper´(Resin-coated).
    Historically there was a difference, but today both mean the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RE, he just means re- as in "re: The last visit." It means "In Reference to" but isn't normally used in capitals

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    Now I question the Arista Ultra and EUD papers being sold by Freestyle. I have used them and they are fine for proofing etc. but seem to react like a developer incorporated paper too...
    Funny. I use plenty of the Arist.EDU Ultra RC paper and find that it is fairly slow to reach completion in Dektol 1+2 or 1+3. It's a lot slower than the Kodak Polymax, Kodak Polycontrast, and the Adorama branded papers I used to use when they were still available. These papers were done in 90 seconds or so. The Arista.EDU Ultra gets a good 2 1/2 minutes.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolson View Post
    The result pretty much confirmed that the batch of paper
    I have is developer incorporated.
    Are you aware that a test for DI emulsion does exist
    and is very quick and easy to perform? Expose a piece
    of paper, room light will do, then develop in a carbonated
    solution. Try a coin on paper during exposure for
    a comparison. Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin