Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,908   Online: 946

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PCTEA anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format

PCTEA anyone?

Hi,

I'm about to make my first batch of PCTEA. Mr. Gainer's formula suggests a mixing temperature of 250F according to The Darkroom Cookbook. He suggests a dutch oven but has anyone here mixed this with a lab hotplate/stirrer without blasting the darkroom portion of the house into the outer limits?

Thanks,

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done it with a hot (just below boiling) water bath, stirring by hand. It worked OK, but I rushed too much in adding the ascorbic acid and got some solid glops of it in the bottom of the final product. If I'd been a bit more patient I think there would have been no problem at all.

I'd premixed a stock solution of phenidone in propylene glycol, though, so I didn't have to worry about dissolving that. (I did that one the same way, with a hot-water bath, and let it sit for a few days in a warm room for the last of the phenidone to dissolve. No problems.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believ Patrick revised his temperature recommendations when it was pointed out to him that there is a fire hazard when heating some of the organics to those temperatures.

I'll let him speak for himself on the revision, but I myself would not use a stove, microwave or that high of a temperature.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess what has me wondering is that the warning on the bottle from Photographer's Formulary states that TEA is to be kept away from heat, sparks, open flame, etc. The MSDS for TEA states the flash point is 185C which is well below the 250F stated in the formula, but I don't want to take any chances. I'm very allergic to vigorous explosions in the immediate vicinity of my face and/or body.

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ash;

There are numerous threads on flash point here and on PN. I suggest you look them over.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WIll do PE. Thanks...

Ash (still in one piece)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have mixed PC-TEA on a stirrer-hotplate with no ill effects, but I did it in a fume-hood. My advice to you is to work in a well-ventilated area and heat gently with good magnetic stirring until the components dissolve. You shouldn't need to go to 250F.

Quote Originally Posted by AshenLight View Post
    The MSDS for TEA states the flash point is 185C which is well below the 250F stated in the formula, but I don't want to take any chances.
    250 degrees Fahrenheit is about 120 degrees C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I have mixed PC-TEA on a stirrer-hotplate with no ill effects, but I did it in a fume-hood. My advice to you is to work in a well-ventilated area and heat gently with good magnetic stirring until the components dissolve. You shouldn't need to go to 250F.

250 degrees Fahrenheit is about 120 degrees C.
    Whoops, meant to say the stated flash point of 185C is well above 250F. 185C = 365F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I believ Patrick revised his temperature recommendations when it was pointed out to him that there is a fire hazard when heating some of the organics to those temperatures.

I'll let him speak for himself on the revision, but I myself would not use a stove, microwave or that high of a temperature.

PE
    How would you make up the PC-TEA formula? Just curious.
    It seems to be a popular developer. http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=PC-TEA+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith;

I don't use PCTEA. I have my own formulas. In addition to which I don't believe in magic bullets for solving problems. Good old D-76 and HC-110 work well for me, or one of my own specialty formuolas if I want something special - but not magic.

PE

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin