Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,473   Online: 883

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hoping you all can give me some insight.

I've just shot a roll of Tri-X 320 at 1600. I am looking for an aged, grainy effect, but still want decent detail in the print. I am wondering if Rodinal would suit the job? If so, anyone got a suggestion as to times / temps / dilutions? The shots on this film are not irreplaceable, but I'd rather not ruin them just the same.

The other developer I have on hand is ID-11....

Thanks -

- CJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Cheryl,

Did you have a peek at www.digitaltruth.com? The Massive Dev.Chart.
    Rodinal gives sharp but grainy negatives.
    Good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, thanks, I did. There are no times available for Rodinal at all for professional Tri-X 320, let alone pushing.

May just go ahead with the ID-11...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Damn. Now I can't find my developing time for Tri-X 320 in ID-11 pushing to 1600? Anybody?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not despair. I found some info: TriX at 1600 iso,Rodinal 1+50 dilution, 18,5 minutes at 68F. I haven't tried it myself, I must add.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    cheryl-

i just finished a project where i wanted a very unique grain pattern. i tried 4 different combinations HC-110 (which is my std developer so this was the 'control group'), one of the FX developers from the Darkroom Cookbook, Rodinal, and Ethol TEC.

Ethol TEC was my final choice because the grain was very distinctive, it almost gave the effect of an etching. My second choice was Rodinal, the grain was distinct and very sharp.

I have some work handy of the Tri-X Ethol TEC around the house if you want I can scan it and send you a sample. I may still have the test prints from the rodinal at the lab, I can try and get them tomorrow if you want.

-jts

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks! Yes, I'd love to see the samples you have. I'm looking for a few different grain structures, for a few different bodies of work, so I appreciate the offer.

Clogz, thanks for the data!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheryl,
    You might want to use Acufine (approx 14 min @ 68F)...and add to its effect in the darkroom with the diffused exposure you often use. This may be less grain than you are trying to get...but it certainly gives the haunting old look that may suit your purposes...and more, it give very good detail. I just got good results shooting TriX @ 3200 and processed for 30 min @68F.

good luck
    Bobby

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey, Bobby, it's good to see you over here! Thanks for the Acufine info. I haven't used it before, so it'll be fun. So, that's Acufine for 14min @68 for Tri-X 320 at 1600?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I really like the acufine...it is specifically for push processing...I think you'll like it too. I've found different times for acufine...but it's fairly tolerant. Like I said I pushed TriX to 3200...available info said to process for 21 minutes...I did it for 30 min with good results. I'll print something in the next day or two...I'll send you the results.

I'm trying to spend more time on this site too (in all my spare time).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin