Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,849   Online: 893

Thread: Thermapen sale

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thermapen sale

Heads up to all on a sale I've been hoping would happen. I just read about it on a cooking site. I've been hoping to get one but the price was just a tad too high. Now I haven't an excuse.

www.thermoworks.com/thermapen_privatesale.html

PS I have no association with these people.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use one in the kitchen--I think I paid $79 a few years ago, so $69 is a good price for these. It pretty much works as advertised. I've used it for candy-making. I might pick one up for the darkroom--somewhat obviously, kitchen and darkroom gear is not interchangeable! I only wish they made one unit that could switch between deg. F and C.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can usually get nice meat thermometers for around $30, and read in metic or fahrenheit.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually have a meat thermometer as Kirk says - don't remember the brand - which I bought for about $30. It does the job very well. I would not spend double the money for such thing.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What make that thing any better than this: http://www.target.com/Taylor-Commerc...mometer&page=1 ?

Let's see $15 vs $70 for something that works the same? Probably has the same internal components too? No thanks.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    What make that thing any better than this:
    Speed and accuracy, mainly. Greater range, though that's usually not a big issue. I've tried less expensive thermometers, and none of them respond as fast as the Thermapen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cheaper ones are plenty accurate enough. I have used them for the very temperature sensitive C-41 and E-6 processes with good results. I've tested any number of these things against a Paterson Color Thermometer. They all come withing a few fractions of a degree against it as a standard. As for speed, it's just not that important a consideration for my needs.
    Frank Schifano

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what it's worth, I ordered two. One for darkroom and one for kitchen. They just came so I haven't had time to break them, so it will be a while to have a sense of durability. Regardless, they're fast reacting. I'm pleased so far.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin