Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,201   Posts: 1,531,529   Online: 1052

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd bet on shutter. Looks just like the bands on a widelux when the shutter is sticky.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trexx View Post
    I'd bet on shutter. Looks just like the bands on a widelux when the shutter is sticky.
    Wouldn't that affect every exposure though? And there seems to be no relationship between shutter speed and the effect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=CanuckBassist;771344]Wouldn't that affect every exposure though?
    Not necessarilly.

And there seems to be no relationship between shutter speed and the effect

Erratic problems are the ones most difficult to solve.

And if a shutter is due for a CLA, it can be erratic. Works one time fine; not the next. Depends upon many, many variables; state of the lubrication; temperature. humidity; even the angle the camera is being held; how long between shots. I have seen it all.

What a vexation!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With a focal plane shutter, particularly when it is faster then sync speed the leading curtain travles at a different speed then the trailing curtain. Or one of the two stutter as it travels. In the expermental roll not the appeture and shutter speed for all frames. If the sutter is to be blamed anything ove the X sync speed is likly to have bands of different exposure.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The band appears at the exact same place in all 4 of the affected frames. Every single frame of the roll was shot at above the sync speed.

I'll do the experimental roll tomorrow and see what happens.

Images
    It may be a problem in loading film into the developing reel. The film might have gotten kinked so that one layer was too close to the next, causing uneven developer flow patterns. If the developing tank was spcified, I missed it.

Uneven agitation may occur if there is too much developer in the tank. Then there is insufficient headroom for circulation.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckBassist View Post
    The band appears at the exact same place in all 4 of the affected frames.
    I think that's sufficient evidence to call this a shutter problem, no?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    It may be a problem in loading film into the developing reel. The film might have gotten kinked so that one layer was too close to the next, causing uneven developer flow patterns. If the developing tank was spcified, I missed it.

Uneven agitation may occur if there is too much developer in the tank. Then there is insufficient headroom for circulation.
    Seems I recall the original poster saying the tank was very well filled. And with the long developing time, the kinks might not have too grossly underdeveloped certain areas; but might have contributed to the uneven density. Certainly a possibility. And as Cannuckbassist said, it sure would be nice if it were a development problem, rather than something mechanical with the shutter. Let's hope that's it, rather than a cranky shutter. I would love to be wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [/QUOTE]

Helloi Bassist,
    Any update on your problem? Please keep us posted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't be sure, but it's highly likely a shutter problem.

Before I could start on my test roll, I found that my camera's slower shutter speeds were no longer as slow as they could be. I sent the body back to where I bough it, and they're going to send me a replacement.

I'm hoping the two problems are related.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin