Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,678   Online: 798

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wanna help you? Sure, but not by answering your question. Good Christ, man. This is stuff you learn the first week in a photo class. If you want to learn well, and properly, go to the library. Take a class. Read some manufacturers' publications on film processing. At least try picking up some knowledge using ANALOG methods before you expect people to hand you scattered, piecemeal, effectively random instructions for EVERYTHING on the Internet. There is too much Information (MOST of it crap) and distraction on the Internet to use it as an effective basic learning tool for this stuff. (Additionally, as you stated, there are about a million threads and Webpages that already have the information you need.) At the very least, go to the library and read a basic photo textbook cover to cover. You will learn more basic knowledge by doing that than you will in many years of asking the questions on the Internet as they come up, and having a bunch of short, often off topic, and more often just plain wrong answers from any old Joe. "Photography" by Upton and Upton (or London and Upton, depending on the edition) should be in any library, and will give you a nice read packed with basic information and more.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-31-2009 at 09:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by funkpilz View Post
    ...I fixed with Ilford Rapid Fixer diluted at 1+9 as well (is this correct?)...
    Well, it's not exactly wrong, but film strength fixer dilution is 1+4. Get the data sheet for your fixer and give it a glance. It's not that the 1+9 dilution can't fix film, but you'll need to modify fixing times. Finaly, search APUG and many of your questions will be answered within minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funkpilz View Post
    Okay, I finally got my head out of the dark bag, and I'm back with results!
    Thanks to all of your competent help, I can now proudly claim to be a home developer. I just developed my first roll ever, it was a test roll of the APX 100. I developed at 24°C, 1+9 Ilfosol 3, for 5 minutes. I agitated 5 times (not seconds, my timer isn't accurate enough) every 30 seconds. I stopped with (roughly) 24°C water, three runs of it, agitating constantly (and fiercely) every time. I fixed with Ilford Rapid Fixer diluted at 1+9 as well (is this correct?). Then I wiped the negatives down and hung them up to dry. Now I'm waiting for them to be scannable.
    After the fixer, the film needs to be washed. Or did you just forget to mention it?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    It's not that the 1+9 dilution can't fix film, but you'll
    need to modify fixing times.
    I've put a few 120 rolls through at 1:31: 500ml of solution.
    I later standardized on 1:24 as my concentrate aged. The
    fixer is used one-shot. As dilution increases so does time
    but capacity decreases.

Film strength only exists because a film's emulsion has
    a great tolerance for dissolved silver and other by products
    of fixing. Paper on the other hand has less tolerance so the
    1:9 Paper strength. At 1:9 capacity is less and so too is the
    solution's build up of dissolved silver and byproducts. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey everyone, I'm back with scans!
    I've developed quite a few rolls lately, mostly APX100 and HP5+. The developing times seem to be right, but I think I'm doing something wrong. On pretty much all of my scans (this one's HP5+ at EI200), I get weird contrast-y shadow areas that look like this:
    http://img60.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blacksw.jpg
    Another thing that I noticed when I developed HP5+ at EI400 was that the texture was very much off, sort of like after you apply a Photoshop filter to a picture to make it look more artsy. Note the texture on these jeans:
    http://img60.imageshack.us/my.php?image=filter.jpg
    Now, my suspicion is of course that this is due to the Fixer being diluted at 1+9 (5 minutes fixing), but can anyone comment on whether this mistake will go away if I dilute at 1+4?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is good advice. Processing film is not difficult, but it takes a lot of practice to actually understand all of the variables.

The internet is becoming a crap source of reliable information. Anything published in a library is trustworthy and a good place to start. At least it's been filtered.
    Most of what you find online is opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Wanna help you? Sure, but not by answering your question. Good Christ, man. This is stuff you learn the first week in a photo class. If you want to learn well, and properly, go to the library. Take a class. Read some manufacturers' publications on film processing. At least try picking up some knowledge using ANALOG methods before you expect people to hand you scattered, piecemeal, effectively random instructions for EVERYTHING on the Internet. There is too much Information (MOST of it crap) and distraction on the Internet to use it as an effective basic learning tool for this stuff. (Additionally, as you stated, there are about a million threads and Webpages that already have the information you need.) At the very least, go to the library and read a basic photo textbook cover to cover. You will learn more basic knowledge by doing that than you will in many years of asking the questions on the Internet as they come up, and having a bunch of short, often off topic, and more often just plain wrong answers from any old Joe. "Photography" by Upton and Upton (or London and Upton, depending on the edition) should be in any library, and will give you a nice read packed with basic information and more.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Anything published in a library is trustworthy and a good place to start.
    Don't have one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, the things I take for granted.

Can you order books via Amazon or similar source? Perhaps find publications from Kodak or Ilford (the source)?

This is a good place to start:
    Ilford
    Kodak

Those two links should get you to places with documented information published by the manufacturer. It's a good start to study those sources.

Sorry about the assumption above.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 04-17-2009 at 02:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    No problem. In fact, I think it's a travesty that I would have to actually get into a car (don't have a license yet) and drive for like half an hour to get to a library to get some books. Kinda shows you how highly education is valued in our society
    I've actually read Langford and Adams, most of it pretty thoroughly, and especially the latter has been very helpful. The only thing I have problems with is troubleshooting, which I find is rather hard to do through reading books.
    And thanks for the links - although I've already gone through the Ilford one, which has proven to be extremely valuable.
    Last edited by funkpilz; 04-18-2009 at 02:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try E-Bay for some books. Old textbooks are the best, as they are very cheap, and the basic info hasn't changed (just materials available have changed). I think the one I mentioned earlier is a decent read, and often sells for peanuts. There are some used 3rd Ed. copies on Amazon for about $20 plus shipping, but I'll bet you could do better on E-Bay.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin