Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,474   Online: 1130

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Film Grain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With good exposure and XTOL 1+1 (or undiluted) I find Tri-X to be pretty grain-free on an 8x10 printed from a condenser enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't mind trying a different film/developer combination, you could try Fuji Acros 100 and Super-Prodol, or TMAX 100 and TMAX developer. Both of those combinations have given me silky-smooth photos in the past.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm RF
    3X has lovely grain. One should learn to appreciate it. But notwithstanding that, correct exposure is also a very important factor in minimising grain.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Shoot Adox CMS 20. No grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear thisismyname09,

Try Xtol undiluted. You should see notably smoother images.

Neal Wydra
    What he said.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    With good exposure and XTOL 1+1 (or undiluted) I find Tri-X to be pretty grain-free on an 8x10 printed from a condenser enlarger.
    What he said, too.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Complaining about Trix being grainy seems kind of like complaining about Harley-Davidsons being loud.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Complaining about Trix being grainy seems kind of like complaining about Harley-Davidsons being loud.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tri-X should not have what most people would call "obnoxious grain" unless it has been poorly exposed and/or beaten up during processing (or blown up a lot, obviously). Overexposure is the number one culprit in making a horribly grainy image in my experience. In fact, when I want to increase the appearance of grain, overexposing is the first and most important step. Another thing that causes a lot of grain to show up is when you "print up" an underexposed negative by reducing density on the print and adding contrast. Number three culprit: processing. Overdevelopment, too much agitation, agitation that is too harsh, etc. Number four: pictures that are not really sharp to begin with. This gives you nothing *but* grain to focus on. The worst *accidental* grain I have ever seen is from extremely overexposed, low contrast, out of focus negatives that never should have been printed in the first place being not only printed, but done so much too large.

When you print your contact sheets so that the sprocket holes are just barely visible using a number 2 filter (or a grade two paper), what do your pix look like? Light, good, or dark? Contrasty, good, or flat?

By what factor are you enlarging your 1x1.5 inch negs?

Changing film/developer is not anywhere near the first thing that comes to mind as a suggestion. You may like another film better, but developers will matter very little, and you should be able to get Tri-X to look perfectly fine with what you are using. Also, by doing this, you will learn better quality exposure and development that you can use to get great results with any film.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-27-2009 at 02:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think its my developing thats the problem. I'm anal about keeping the water the right temperature and agitating an exact number of times for exact amounts of times. I do have a tendancy to use high contrast when I print onto paper, though.

Regardless, I think i'm going to try some new film, just out of curiousity. All I've ever used was Tri-X.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin