Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,882   Posts: 1,520,515   Online: 812

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

It's the other way around, isn't it?

Excerpt from the User Guide from Digital Truth:

"Most of these times are for condenser enlargers, so if you are using a diffused light source it is advisable to develop for additional time."

Just about every time I cross reference developing times to another source, they are virtually always times for diffusion enlargers. I know all Kodak's and Ilford's recommended times on film/developer data sheets are based on diffusion machines. Agfa's recommended times are for a contrast index of 0.65, hefty even for a diffusion machine. Kodak's times are for CI 0.58 for diffusion enlargers. Kodak recommends [I]reducing[I] developing times by 20-30% for condenser enlargers.

Seems we recommend this chart as the 'Gold Standard' for starting times.

I have yet to pull a time from the DT Index that has correlated with a condenser enlarger's (CI 0.42-0.43) recommended times.

What gives? Am I missing something here? Maybe this is why we have so many threads about 'overdeveloped/blocked highlight' film?

-F.
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 03-22-2009 at 02:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's the correct way round, some condenser enlargers were more contrasty, so when diffuser enlargers became more common longer times were recommended to increase the negative contrast.

Parts of the chart are good other times are way out so treat it with care

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No kidding, Ian, I have been burned several times. I finally learned to cross check before dipping important film.

More importantly, it's better to be settled on one film/one developer, then problems don't arise.

I think I read something about that somewhere.

-F.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Fred,
    What kind of a light source has your enlarger? It is my understanding "condensor" enlargers nowadays are semi-diffuse, starting with an opal bulb, then going through condensors.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Hi Fred,
    What kind of a light source has your enlarger? It is my understanding "condensor" enlargers nowadays are semi-diffuse, starting with an opal bulb, then going through condensors.
    Have to agree there's little difference between my old M601 with condensers and an opal bul and the smae enlarger with the CLS66 Colour head & mixing box.

Both are diffuse compared the the much older condenser types made by a wide variety of companies.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ansco,

I have both; it depends on subject matter which choice I make. If I go with the condenser, I reduce development by 25%. Both condensers are condenser/diffusion machines, one a clear bulb with opal glass, the other an opal bulb.

With the 25% reduction (from DT recommendations), I get the prints I like with the 2.5/3.0 filter for 35mm negs; I get seriously sharper negs with much less grain with the reduced development. I usually print the 120 negs on the diffusion machine, where it is not as critical.

-F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another variable in today's "diffusion" - (I like the term "Cold Light") enlargers is the color of the light and its effect on VC filters/papers. The Aristo light of 20 - 30 years ago was blue-white and gave very high contrast with VC papers. Today's V54 lamp is more greenish and compatible with VC materials, but I still find filter grade 1 - 1.5 normal with negs from decades past that printed well on Seagull G2.
    Then there are color heads, which I've never used.
    Maybe we have too many variables today to make any kind of "condensor vs diffusion" comparisons?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin