Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,305   Online: 940

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Panalure equivalent

I have some old color negs that I would like to print in B&W. I did a search for Kodak Panalure but was not able to find a supplier. Does anyone know of an equivalent paper that produces good tones from color negs? Ilford doesn't have it nor does Freestyle as far as I could tell. All suggestions are welcomed.
    Thanks in advance,
    Wade

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No. There is no equivalent AFAIK. The best solution these days is to duplicate to a panchromatic B+W stock somehow or use graded paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Panalure pops up on ebay sometimes, but I would be careful about buying it as Panalure was discontinued quite some time ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Harman makes a panchromatic paper called Harman FB Galerie, designed primarily for Lightjet exposure. I've mentioned this here a couple of times. It also makes two more pan papers on resin base. But they're only made in rolls and sold to industry, not the general public. Maybe if enough folk pester them nicely, they'd make them available in sheets.

See http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...Papers+Digital
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a discontinued RA-4 (colour paper process) from Kodak called Portra B&W, as I recall, that gives b&w prints from colour negs, with some measure of contrast control though flitration.

It looses red speed, like all modern RA-4 papers, and the image shifts to a bit magenta black as it ages. I still have a few hundred feet of a 12" roll in the freezer for projects where this look will work though.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use this paper with great success, it is designed for laser exposing units.
    Lambda, Lightjet, Deveere Digital Enlarger,and Theta units.
    Beautiful fibre base paper which is much like Galerie , I do not use the rc version but is readily available from large Wedding Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Harman makes a panchromatic paper called Harman FB Galerie, designed primarily for Lightjet exposure. I've mentioned this here a couple of times. It also makes two more pan papers on resin base. But they're only made in rolls and sold to industry, not the general public. Maybe if enough folk pester them nicely, they'd make them available in sheets.

See http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/...Papers+Digital

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Although I wouldn't be amongst them, perhaps those who'd buy these papers - there seems to be a few as there's been several threads here from folk wanting Panalure - could ask Harman to produce a 'special order' in certain paper sizes; in the same way they cut ULF films once a year, and to order.

I'm glad to hear the FB paper is similar to standard Galerie, which I've used on several occasions. It tones like a dream in selenium, has a deep black and is a pleasure to work with.

Just a thought.
    testing...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Agfa FB used to print colour negs well, a guy I knew used to do a lot with it

Adox is reintroducing the paper under its own label having bought the coating line

It might be worthy of investigating when it comes out in a couple of months

Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Agfa FB used to print colour negs well, a guy I knew used to do a lot with it

Adox is reintroducing the paper under its own label having bought the coating line

It might be worthy of investigating when it comes out in a couple of months

Martin
    Your statement about Adox (Fotoimpex.de) is too simplistic. Fotoimpex is an investor (one of a group) in a facility that purchased a coating line from Agfa in Germany when they went "belly-up". The actual "main output" of the coating facility is not photo related, but Fotoimpex has been assured they can use the line to coat photo products, such as the paper you mention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the replies. I will check out those options and see what happens. The negs I have should look great in B&W.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin