Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,535   Posts: 1,544,076   Online: 1106

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had marks like that when I load film in a changing bag. Tough to sneeze or cough on the film like that...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just noticed something similar on a few of my Plus X negs, you can see it here
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/...737bfd74_b.jpg

I just figured It was dust or something from when it was drying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After more consideration of this, I would like to add that having a repeating pattern of dots cannot be easily explained by handling in the darkroom. I would also like to ask if the spots appear between frames or if they end at the frame edges.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I only noticed it on the one frame, and really didnt notice it in the scan(though you can clearly see if when looking for it). I really noticed it when I printed it at 11x14. That frame was near the end of the roll, If I remember Ill have a look at the rest of the roll and see if there are more dots present.

I processed that roll in Rodinal 1+50 for 13min with 10sec agitation every min and a couple knocks on the table after each one.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Over the past couple of months now on this specific forum we have seen many examples of plus density marks on nuetral areas in prints or scans that are minus density in the negatives.

IMO it boils down to a development stage problem,

Most likely due to ones developer not getting on to the film evenly and at the same time which in broad areas of nuetral grey will create minus density *blotches, flow marks mottling* that is just not obvious in complicated images with lots of texture , rather than smooth areas.

Over the last 18 years of running a film processing *jobo one shot* printing business this has been the most vexing of problems we had to solve.

I would suggest to those having problems shoot 18% grey cards with the card in even light, make sure the card fills the whole image, process the film and read the negative in various places on a densitometer. If the grey cards are evenly lit and the resulting film density's back this up and you have no uneven areas, blotches, mottle then I think your process is good.

I can understand how this problem can drive one nuts, but there are ways of solving these problems , it just takes a lot of film , time and patience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob;

In the OP, there are two frames with identical defect marks. This is very unusual. It is pretty hard to get that type of pattern to repeat itself from a development problem IMHO. I would hesitate to call it a lens spot problem as they don't show up this way either (usually) and that is where I am stuck.

That is why I ask if it is present outside of the image area as well or along the edges.

I have seen a coating defect like that, but never in adjacent frames, rather they are separated by the circumference of the problem roller (or spot) in the coating machine. So, the next question is, is the problem on all frames or on adjacent frames?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The spots do look evenly spaced,my be some thing on a contrast filter or heat absorbing glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oh I forgot ,just scaned. maybe scanner.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Ron

My observations are based on a bunch of threads rather than this paticular one.
    If there are marks in identical positon on different frames it would be pretty unlikely a development mistake as you suggest.

I have isolated myself to this paticular forum only since Jan 1, I was spending too much time on APUG. By doing so it has come to my attention that there seems to be a lot of issues with dark mottle / blotches on film in nuetral areas.
    Those having such problems , I encourage to shoot nuetral cards and make that film perfect before imaging and ruining a lot of film.

scanner, old film, xray, bad storage , coating defect ,may or may not be the source of this paticular problem , minus density in prints usually means development in my world.
    The almost perfect very large circle's makes me wonder as they are mark's I have not seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Bob;

In the OP, there are two frames with identical defect marks. This is very unusual. It is pretty hard to get that type of pattern to repeat itself from a development problem IMHO. I would hesitate to call it a lens spot problem as they don't show up this way either (usually) and that is where I am stuck.

That is why I ask if it is present outside of the image area as well or along the edges.

I have seen a coating defect like that, but never in adjacent frames, rather they are separated by the circumference of the problem roller (or spot) in the coating machine. So, the next question is, is the problem on all frames or on adjacent frames?

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Did you store the exposed film in the fridge whilst waiting to develop it?
    Well, yes, in Tunisia I stored it in the minibar in my hotel room. Back home I put the rolls in freezer until I processed them (3-4 days I think). I always stored them in the plastic thingie.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I've had marks like that when I load film in a changing bag. Tough to sneeze or cough on the film like that...
    Exactly the same marks? If so, I guess this rules out that possiblity.

Quote Originally Posted by randerson07 View Post
    I just noticed something similar on a few of my Plus X negs, you can see it here
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/...737bfd74_b.jpg

I just figured It was dust or something from when it was drying.
    Were you able to remove them somehow? I tried but wasn't too successfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    After more consideration of this, I would like to add that having a repeating pattern of dots cannot be easily explained by handling in the darkroom. I would also like to ask if the spots appear between frames or if they end at the frame edges.

PE
    I just checked the actual negatives but couldn't spot any dots outside the frame. Then again, they're hardly visible with the bare eye unless viewed against a darker background.

Quote Originally Posted by randerson07 View Post
    I only noticed it on the one frame, and really didnt notice it in the scan(though you can clearly see if when looking for it). I really noticed it when I printed it at 11x14. That frame was near the end of the roll, If I remember Ill have a look at the rest of the roll and see if there are more dots present.

I processed that roll in Rodinal 1+50 for 13min with 10sec agitation every min and a couple knocks on the table after each one.
    Most dots are at the beginning of the roll (especially when I have them with Tri-X which is - as I said - a very rare thing). Could it be a more general thing of 125PX?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin