Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,933   Online: 799

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Strange, large dots with Kodak Plus-X and Kodak XTOL 1+1

I tried finding an answer to my problem via the search engine but wasn't successfull.

So here's the thing: Recently, I'm getting those strange gray (on negative bright) dots - see scans attached. I rarely have that with Tri-X 400 too but not with any other film.

For my last batch I used fresh developer, stop and fix so I can rule out the chemicals. I'm worried about my next 5 rolls of 125PX which are waiting in the fridge to be processed. Anyone out there who had the same?

Before I forget: It's not dust or any kind of water marks - as far as I can say. Meaning it must be something connected to the development process. I even started thinking that XTOL might not be the best choice for Plus-X which would be a bummer as the tonal range with that developer is plain fantastic.

Here are the scans (done with the Nikon Coolscan V ED):

And a crop from a Tri-X scan:

http://scans.bernhardwolf.at/APUG/14704-2.jpg

Any help is deeply appreciated!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    They look air-bubbles to me.
    Do you tap your develop-tank onto the sink in order to get rid of them ?

What kind of tank/spiral combination do you use ?

Peter

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Peter,

yes, I do tap the tank on the table in order to get rid of air bubbles. In fact, I do so after every agitation. Also, I don't have this at all on Neopan1600 and Tmax400 - only on 125PX and very rarely with 400TX.

I'm using the Jobo 15xx (1520 + 1540) system. I must add that after processing a few hundred rolls with the tanks they are not that clean any more - could that be an issue?

Bernhard

Shooter
    Medium Format

Condensation?

I'm not sure those are air bells, which in my experience are more regular in their circular shape and more irregular in density.

But I don't have a good alternative to suggest. Could it be condensation on the undeveloped film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sometimes, this can happen by sneezing or spitting, due to singing or talking, when handling the undeveloped film in the dark room.
    A way to avoid these little drops slowing down the development, a pre wash can be helpful.

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    35mm
    Condensation could be a reason but then again, when putting the film on the spool I'm alone and don't sing or do anything similar. The tanks are dry and so are the spools themself. A friend of mine suggested pre-washing the film too - if I do so, how long do you recommend? Also, how much does the actual development time decrease? Right now, I'm sticking to the Kodak refrence time (8:15, 20°C, 1+1 XTOL).

Also, if it's condensation, why is it only visible on the Plus-X but not on Tmax or Neopan? I handle those films exactly the same.

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These look like drying marks to me.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you notice that the spots are all in a repeating pattern on each frame? Something unusual is going on here. It is not drying marks or air bubbles. They are irregular in positioning.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Did you notice that the spots are all in a repeating pattern on each frame? Something unusual is going on here. It is not drying marks or air bubbles. They are irregular in positioning.

PE
    Yes, PE, like the spray of sneezing or coughing, these things sometimes happens unnoticed. When, ages ago, I worked at a lab, we had to ware a mouth mask, when we had a little cold, wile loading the films on the racks (for the E-6 processing) to avoid unwanted spitting on the emulsion.

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zeitgeistler View Post
    Condensation could be a reason but then again, when putting the film on the spool I'm alone and don't sing or do anything similar. The tanks are dry and so are the spools themself. A friend of mine suggested pre-washing the film too - if I do so, how long do you recommend? Also, how much does the actual development time decrease? Right now, I'm sticking to the Kodak refrence time (8:15, 20°C, 1+1 XTOL).

Also, if it's condensation, why is it only visible on the Plus-X but not on Tmax or Neopan? I handle those films exactly the same.

Thanks a lot for your help so far!
    Did you store the exposed film in the fridge whilst waiting to develop it?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin