Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,475   Online: 949

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Comparative reciprocity failure of available sheet films

While I have read that Kodak TMY-2 has good reciprocity characteristics and the Fomapan films show very significant reciprocity failure; the ILFORD data sheets for HP5+, FP4+, and Delta 100 all seem to show the same reciprocity characteristics through a rather imprecise and limited graph.

A photo.net contributor has published a formula to calculate reciprocity failure of Delta 100 'Corrected time = 1.15567 x (Metered time)^1.4379'; however, I have seen little in way of comparison between HP5+, FP4+, and Delta 100. Does a lack of comparison indicate these films all have the same reciprocity characteristics, which seems unlikely...?

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Howard Bond published an article on this with some very useful information. I believe it was Photo Techniques in 2003. I don't have a copy on hand, unfortunately.
    It included Tri-X 400, Tmax 400, Tmax 100, 100 Delta, and HP5+. That was the old version of Tmax 400, of course.
    Tmax 100 and 100 Delta were the most linear of the bunch. But TMY is two stops faster... HP5 and Tri-X were the worst performers. Another conclusion was that no compensation in development needed to be done, which is good news.

100 Delta and HP5 definitely did not have the same reciprocity characteristics, according to Bond's test.

You'll have to locate the article somehow.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ulrich, that's the most useful article I've seen in a long while. I'll make a precis of the data to keep with my lenses.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tom,
    In case you are interested, Fuji's boast that Acros 100 shows very little reciprocity failure seems to have something to it--which I found out quite by accident. I don't recall whether the sheet included with the box of 4x5 provides extensive information for it, though, although that may be available elsewhere.
    Le-qun

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently suggested in a German forum already to collect data on reciprocity-failure. It seems to me more valuable than information on developing times in respect to certain developers, as it's inherent to the respective film, largely independent from individual influences and moreover difficult to test without the proper equipment.

Ulrich

Images
    Search www.unblinkingeye.com for "LIRF is Lurking at Your F-stop" by Patrick Gainer. It shows some interesting facts about reciprocity obtained by analyzing Howard Bond's data in an unusual manner.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by An Le-qun View Post
    Tom,
    In case you are interested, Fuji's boast that Acros 100 shows very little reciprocity failure seems to have something to it--which I found out quite by accident. I don't recall whether the sheet included with the box of 4x5 provides extensive information for it, though, although that may be available elsewhere.
    Le-qun

I've tested this film for astrophotography and it does have very good reciprocity characteristics. I could see that density of nebula was still building against background in test exposures up to 32 minutes. For terrestrial shooting this just goes to show that it does indeed have excellent performance, likely the best on the market with LIRF in mind. Fuji boasts no reciproity adjustment for exposures up to two minutes. I plan further tests but I'm a little concern about how easily it seems to scratch; I'm going to have to track that down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Search www.unblinkingeye.com for "LIRF is Lurking at Your F-stop" by Patrick Gainer. It shows some interesting facts about reciprocity obtained by analyzing Howard Bond's data in an unusual manner.
    I just did a quick check with some data for HP5 from the Bond article. It really seems to work.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post

Thanks for the article-

using your graph for all films, the corrected exposure for an indicated time of 1 sec is 1.3 sec, for a time of 10 sec is 14 sec? am I doing this correctly? seems kind of low corrections for Tri-X in my experience- or I have been over-correcting...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin