Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,348   Online: 991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Foma 400 - Speed

...or lack thereof.

Has anybody else tested this film and found they need to shoot it at EI 100-160 to get decent shadow detail?

I did a series of shots with this film, bracketing, and only after overexposing by two stops from box speed did I get the detail I wanted in the shadows.

I'm using Edwal 12 chemistry too, which allows pretty much box speed for Tri-X 400, so it's not a speed eating developer either.

Attached file is from a 35mm frame from yesterday.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not tried the 400 Foma film but the 100 & 200 run far slower than box speed and need some taming to get the best out of them. I have heard of people shooting the 200 film at 80 EI to get good tonality.

How long were your exposures ? Reciprocity starts early with Foma films.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thomas, I do not have a densitometer, but have used Foma 400 a lot. I love this film. I expose at EI 200, sometimes at EI 320 and can't complain, but I am no darkroom expert. I process in Clayton F76+. The tonality of this film is just perfect for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've tested Foma 200 and 400 in Diafine and found that I have to rate them at EI 75 and EI 150 respectively to get a density of 0.1 log D for zone 1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, I shot these at about 1/60 to 1/125th of a second, so nowhere near reciprocity problems. I've done 120 rolls as fast as 1/500s too with the same results.

I was mainly curious. I don't think it's a film I'm going to use a lot, but came into some pretty cheaply with a batch of Neopan 400 35mm film, so decided to try it out, see how it goes. The grain is pretty pronounced, but beautiful. It prints much better than it scans.

Anyway, thought I'd share my results.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like Foma 200 at 75, it's fine grained and prints nicely. Fomapan 400 doesn't really fit any of my needs, as it's rather slow but has the grain of an ISO 400 film, so I prefer to use a "real" ISO 400 film like Neopan 400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Philipp, that's a good point, and one that probably should be made. I like its grain, and will try to use that to my advantage with portraiture when I experiment.

I've settled on Kodak Tmax 400 as my regular film, but it's fun to try something different sometimes.

- Thomas

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, I used this procedure (part 2 is here) to determine Fomapan 400's speed in PC-Glycol. I got a film speed of either 320 or 400 -- my camera's meter gave me the same shutter speed and aperture at both settings, so I can't be sure which was more accurate. I've been using DS-10 more recently, and rating the film at 400, but I've not run any formal tests on it. Both of these developers are phenidone/ascorbate (PC) developers, like XTOL, so I'd expect them to get a little more speed than some developers would.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used Fomapan a bit and never found it dull, I did agitate it though more than twice what I would neopan etc, I shot at box speed. I go great shadow detail and contrast but you do have to work harder in the darkroom as well to get it to print well. IMHO. ( I am now going to qualify everything I said with the note, I developed my first roll of film ever and got my first SLR Camera 18 months ago, so compared to a lot of folk here I am a mere toddler) Some pics, details of developer etc in notes if you click on picture.

Fomapan 200: Dublin Junkies: First Hit

Fomapan 400:

both in XTOL STOCK solution.
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I get EI 320 in D76 1+1 and the film is nice looking, grainier than Tri-X but sharper looking. Like Tri-X in Rodinal.

My girlfriend has used it more than I have. Here's some she did:

Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin