Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,250   Online: 791

Shooter
    Medium Format

Paterson Five Reel Tank

Got a question question...

I'm thinking about getting a Paterson Five Reel tank (five reels for 35mm film, three reels of 120 size film). The data sheets that I looked at said that I could use normal development times for up to five reels in one tank. And I don't plan on ever developing over five reels at one time.

Does everything else in the process stay the same as if I would be developing with a small tank?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to add, I use a 5 roll tank quite often & develop the same as with a 2 roll tank. I believe it's if you go to the 8 roll tanks that you need to give a bit extra.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Just to add, I use a 5 roll tank quite often & develop the same as with a 2 roll tank. I believe it's if you go to the 8 roll tanks that you need to give a bit extra.
    Yes, data sheets give compensation instructions for developing more than five rolls. I'll probably just start off using a two roll tank so that I can learn the ropes. And once I know what I'm doing, I'll move up to the five roll tank.

Btw, thanks for sharing your experience!

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use both my 5-reel and 2-reel tanks, for both 35 and 120 film. The 2 biggest issues I have encountered is: 1) ensuring there is adequate coverage of chemicals over the film and; 2) more froth (or bubbles) from inverted agitation techniques. Both of these are only when not doing a full load (e.g 2 reels of 120 in the big tank). The solution to the first is ensuring you always use extra liquid to cover (I always add 10-20% more liquid to ensure adequate coverage) and the solution to the second is to either use the agitation stick or slide the container along the counter while spinning the tank 90 degrees with each turn. I have never needed to change development technique when switching between the tanks.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have Paterson tanks in 2-, 3-, 5- and 8-roll sizes and I find they all work well. The bigger ones take longer to fill and drain, and agitation is more of an issue, but the results have been good.

I haven't noticed any great need to extend development time with my 8-roll tank, but I extend development slightly because I start draining 15 seconds before the end of the time, and it takes longer than that to drain it. Still, the difference is only a few seconds.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin