Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,009   Posts: 1,524,614   Online: 1040

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak TMX, Special Coating Blocking UV Light

In the May/June 2008 issue of View Camera Magazine, Sandy King, in an excellent article comparing T-Max 100 and T-Max 400 films, found among other things that T-Max 100 has a special coating that blocks a huge amount of the available UV light, making TMX virtually useless for printing with UV sensitive processes. My question is: does this coating block UV light when the film is initially exposed, or just when a print is being made from a TMX negative? In other words, if I want to photograph a scene for which I would normally affix a UV filter, can I dispense with the UV filter if I use TMX film?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) A UV-blocking coating will block UV anytime. (Of course it needs to be be in the optical path. A UV absorber in the base won't effect the emulsion...)

-) I only know of two methods of installing a UV-blocker in processing: the lacquering of a print with UV-blocking varnish and the soaking of a print with brightener (though that is actually inot intended as UV-blocker).

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe the coating is on the base side, so it effects only when you are printing the processed negitive.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by lensmagic View Post
    In the May/June 2008 issue of View Camera Magazine, Sandy King, in an excellent article comparing T-Max 100 and T-Max 400 films, found among other things that T-Max 100 has a special coating that blocks a huge amount of the available UV light, making TMX virtually useless for printing with UV sensitive processes. My question is: does this coating block UV light when the film is initially exposed, or just when a print is being made from a TMX negative? In other words, if I want to photograph a scene for which I would normally affix a UV filter, can I dispense with the UV filter if I use TMX film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin