Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,720   Online: 972

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert,

Very nice work. I like the looks of this film/developer combination. Thanks for your post.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am just testing this film (Fomapan Creative 200) with the famous W665 (Windisch) developer.
    This Ortho Phenylenediamine based, ultra fine grain developer, was designed in 1941 (by Hans Windisch) and used for maximum resolution and sharpness in the 35mm film results by the Luftwaffe during the bombing in WWII.

A kind of solarisation is formed which is removed after the fix process by a 2-3% Acetic Acid or Hydrochloric Acid and then a very fine grained negative is the result. After the war the receipture has been sold for decades under Perutz W665 which company was also bought by Agfa-Gevaert (merged in 1964) till the end of the 60's.

The problem is that there is no source for the modern type film emulsions and W665. So everything must be tested up from zero.
    My first 35mm results with Rollei Pan 25 are finished. E.I. 25 and from 40x50cm no grain to focus with my Peak focusser. With the mentioned Fomapan Creative 200 (E.I. 100) just some small grain to focus on.

Why Agfa (Perutz) stopped making this W665 is not clear to me.
    Maybe the removal of the solarisation layer was too complicated in a general process for accepted film development. How more I have done with this 1941 developer, how more impressed I am with the resuls.

Best regards,

Robert

(Always underway with his (Leica) M7 )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert, I like Foma films a lot! I would like to get a visible grain à la Rodinal with the 400 in medium format, but even with R09 it remains too discrete. What would be your suggestion? Neofin blue?
    Another question: I will have a 8x10" project, using T200. Is Promicrol a "pushing" possibility? Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For getting MORE grain out of Fomapan 400, try Rodinal in a rotary process. For a right exposure: R09 one shot made in Germany (Rodinal) 1+50 and E.I. 200.

Old Promicol (May & Baker) was a fine grain developer, not a real push developer. While an important chemical stuff for this developer was obsolete the May & Baker Promicol died.
    The new recepture (Champion) has nothing to do with the old days.

For real push development of Fomapan Creative 200 you can try:
    DD-X
    Microphen
    Diafine (E.I. 250 only)

Here is a test where you can see what the Fomapan Creative 200 is able to:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsuominen/237741898/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    N-(beta-hydroxyethyl)-o-aminophenol sulfate was the obselete chemical stuff in May & Baker Promicol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Robert, but I don't have a rotary processor!... Don't you think that Neofin Blue would give me more grain than Rodinal?
    For the T200, you don't mention Emofin: is it a bad combo?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried one box of Efke 4x5 when J&C was selling it. Out of the first 10 negatives, three or four had coating defects. I gave the rest of that box away and went back to HP5.

A fair amount of time has passed, is the Quality Control any better for Efke?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well shake Rodinal like a milk shake instead of a rotary development and you will get much more grain.
    As push developer: Emofin, I think so yes, but I have no personal experience with this Tetenal 2-bath developer.
    Neofin Blau, maybe, it's a Beutler type and more or less simmilar like AM50/AM20, Amaloco (1936) . Very nice with Rollei Pan 25 or Efke 25.

Defects: Efke, yes their Q.C. need improvement. But who is going to pay for it? Very old machines and an old coating plant. The single layer principle from former Dr. Schleussner later Dupont and more later Efke, was magic but the film must be OK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I gave up using Efke/Adox!... Too fragile. Sorry, Mirko.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I took test rolls of Agfa APX 100 and Efke R100 in 120, I exposed them +3, +2, +1, 0, -1, -2, -3, and developed them in the same developer (I wanted to find the correct times in Agfa 8), I found that Efke 100 is [i]much[/b] more forgiving than the more modern APX 100. Perfect film for box cameras with fixed speed and aperture. I haven't tried Foma 100, but will some day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin