Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,707   Online: 703

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone know if Neopan 400 reaches box speed?
    Well that depends on the developer.
    Here an example (35mm) on iso 320:

Same camera + lens as above (M7 + Elmarit IV 2,8/28mm).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ..... and for the technical details:

http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta..._Neopan400.pdf

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    Well that's a choice you can make. Neopan 400 120 roll film (Fuji) is around Eur. 3,20 while Fomapan 400 is Eur. 2,50 (Compared with a single film buy.) Iso 250 or iso 320 is not bad at all but maybe the Fomapan films should be mentioned: Fomapan Action 320, Fomapan Creative 160 and Fomapan Classic 100. Further it's the only company who is still producing B&W slide film: Fomapan R 100 (indeed a real iso 100 B&W slide film).

Creative IS the Fomapan 200. A nice film (iso 160) for architecture. Here one of my best (35mm) results with this film in Prague:

Great shot, I've shot on that staircase that leads down from Prague Castle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great shot, I've shot on that staircase that leads down from Prague Castle.
    Thanks for your kind remark.

Here another one (opposite direction to the Castle).

.... and the wooden dolls near the Charles bridge.

All the same M7+Elmarit + Y-filter on Fomapan Creative 200, Czech made film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had the worst luck with the Arista.EDU Ultra 400 120 film, but the 100 speed stuff is excellent.

The Arista.EDU 100 sheet film is all I use, haven't found a single QC issue yet.
    The 400 is closer to 200, if even (in my usage). It's grain is grainy. I like grain.
    It's very thin (so is the 100) but if i'm shooting the 400 @ 200 anyhow, I mine as well shoot the 100 at box speed and get tighter grain/smoother tonalities.

Haven't tried foma papers except for that agfa-remake stuff which was outstanding.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Never worked with Arista.edu but I work a lot with Foma films. I love them.
    Here is an example of a Fomapan 200 shot, rated at 160 and developped in Finol.

I also love the fomapan 400 which I rate at 400 and develop in XTOL

Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcd View Post
    That is Fomapan 400. It is a lovely film with great tone and beautiful grain. The base in the 120 curls impressively enough to make it somewhat hard to handle, unless it is dried in a humid environment. I find the actual speed is somewhere around 240 in D-76, 320 in Xtol, and 200 in HC-110.
    Hello All,
    I have often wondered about these kind of "in between" Exposure Indexes.
    Say, we have an ISO 400 film. Rate it at EI 200, we can open up one stop; or give one shutter speed increment lower. And if we have a lens with half-stop increments, we can rate it between EI 200 and ISO 400, or EI 300. Or a shutter which can be set between "full stop" settings.
    I realize there are auto exposure modes with infinitely variable shutter speeds (f/stops, too???). But in the mechanical world of old-fashioned shutters and f/stops, can we, in a real sense, be rating films at much other than the equivalent of half stop EI changes in ratings?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Hello All,
    I realize there are auto exposure modes with infinitely variable shutter speeds (f/stops, too???). But in the mechanical world of old-fashioned shutters and f/stops, can we, in a real sense, be rating films at much other than the equivalent of half stop EI changes in ratings?
    My LF shutters have no detents, and markings at 1/3 stops. So if I trust those marking I can get at least /13 stop resolution. With "At film plane metering" on my LF I can get 1/3 stop or better exposure. My 35mm, while having detents, I can set the lens in between stops if I choose. Shutter speeds have been tough until Aperture Priority with stepless shutter speeds, only about 30 years now.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Actually, on freestylephoto the branded Fomapan 400 is the same price as the Fuji Neopan 400. Anyone know if Neopan 400 reaches box speed? I'm usually not a speed freak but when working with a camera with limited shutter speeds and a lens that likes to be stopped down, I find it easier to add ND sometimes than to add light.
    Actually no. The repackaged Foma films from Freestyle carry the "Arista.EDU Ultra" label. Freestyle also carries Foma branded Fomapan 400 which is the same thing. The Foma branded film carries a price of $3.09 for a single 120 roll, the same price as Fuji Neopan 400. Switch labels on the Foma film to "Arista.EDU Ultra" and the price drops to $2.39/roll.

Does Arista.EDU Ultra, or for that matter Fomapan 400, actually reach the implied speed? I don't know, but I don't think so. I'm doing nice work with it developed in XTOL and exposed using an EI of 250 or 320 dependent upon lighting conditions. If I rate the film any faster the shadows go very thin, very quickly. Looking at the tech sheets for the film which you can find here seems to back up my own observation. How they can claim the ISO rating, which is a published standard for the film's sensitivity and not an arbitrary number like an exposure index, is anyone's guess. There must be some loophole in the standard that's being exploited here.
    Last edited by fschifano; 03-27-2009 at 05:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually no. The repackaged Foma films from Freestyle carry the "Arista.EDU Ultra" label. Freestyle also carries Foma branded Fomapan 400 which is the same thing. The Foma branded film carries a price of $3.09 for a single 120 roll, the same price as Fuji Neopan 400.
    That's what I said:
    on freestylephoto the branded Fomapan 400 is the same price as the Fuji Neopan 400

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin