Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 764

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Favorite Tri-X (120) film-developer combinations

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to solicit postings describing your favorite Tri-X (120) film-developer combinations (whether it be 320 or 400), and why. Also, please describe if it's for portraiture, landscape, etc.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use the 400 asa Tri-x and then develop in D76 1/1 for 9min 45 seconds, makes a nice fine grain neg.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DBy0KG-ZZ-...er+2-72dpi.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Rodinal at 1:50 for both. TXP 320 rated at box speed mainly for portraiture, 400 pushed up to 800 for street work. K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could not agree more. Tri-X (400TX) and D-76 is a classic combination. I rate the film at box speed and run it at 75F with a correspondingly shorter development time of around 7' 45". If the light was very flat and dull, I'll add another 30 to 45 seconds. If the light was hard and bright, I'll cut the time back about 1 minute. Agitation is constant for the first 15 seconds, then vigorously for 5 seconds every 30 seconds. Base time is strictly by the book and it works like a charm.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My EI for TRI-X 400 is ISO 160 and I follow more or less what Frank said for processing. I've got very good results but I mostly shoot landscapes.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Images
    HC-110 dilution H at 11:00 (20 degrees C). I rate it at box speed.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like it at box speed in Xtol or D76 at 1+1 in a Jobo (so my times won't help you, as really no one's will). It also looks very nice in TMAX developer at box speed.

I've never been enamored of it in HC-110, at least in roll-film sizes.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-X 400/120 EI 400 in Pyro-HD 1:1:100 — 20°C - 15 min — normal agitation, good for objects with lots of structure like trees, stones, tools, buildings/monuments, skin (elderly people) etc...

Philippe
    Last edited by Philippe-Georges; 03-25-2009 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: *
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-X is probably the most flexible film made. It pushes well and can be develped in just about anything. My faves are Rodinal and D-76, 1+1; although these have a very different look to them.

I'd like to try it in some of the pyro/cat devs, just to see what's there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Tri-X in Rodinal 1:50 just for the honnest grain and the sharpness I get, esp. with 35mm.

If I need fine grain I use MF anyway or go to LF.

Peter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin