Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,629   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Color with Selenium and Ilford Warmtone

My main paper is Ilford warmtone glossy. I've had some success with full toning in KRST at 1+9 diluton. Problem is, the tones are beautiful reddish browns in the bath, but when dry, the saturation of the colors cool off a little bit.

I used to use Forte Polygrade paper and that paper would fully tone in less time than Ilford WT and keep a nice chocolate brown when dry. This is the color I'm going for. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I should try a different developer. I'm currently using LPD 1+4. I've heard other people using Ilford Warmtone developer and getting good response to selenium.

Anyone have a any other suggestions for getting a nice chocolaty reddish brown that stays when dry on Ilford warmtone? (Just like in "The Toning Book" top of pg. 46).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brian, I tone my Warmtone FB Glossy with much more dilute KRST (1:50 for 5 minutes). I find I get MOST of my color from the developer I'm using, Ansco 130. It's cheap and lasts forever. Might be worth a look? All the best. Shawn

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shawn, thanks, I've used 130 before, but before I started using Ilford Warmtone. Have you ever fully selenium toned one of your Ilford warmtone prints from 130?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I usually go for a more subtle tone but even at that dilution, combined with the 130, the print ends up being pretty warm.

I have no personal experience with this but I've read that Ilford's Selenium toner is a little more brown as opposed to the pink of krst. Maybe someone else has some personal experience with it. Good luck! Shawn

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I have no personal experience with this but I've read that Ilford's Selenium toner is a little more brown as opposed to the pink of krst. Maybe someone else has some personal experience with it. Good luck! Shawn
    Interesting, I was thinking of bringing this variable up to. I honestly didn't think there was any difference between the two from the research I've done. Anyone else have any experience with this? I've only ever used KRST.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want a rich, chocolate colour, I have had some very nice results with Ilford WT Glossy developed in Caffenol and toned in Berg Selenium (1:15). The coffee developer can sometimes be a little flat and muddy, but the Berg selenium really brings out that chocolate tone.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Toffle; 03-26-2009 at 08:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found with Ilford WT and LPD (which I currently use at 1 : 2) if you increase the dilution of the selenium a bit (I use 1 :13) then it will be less red & more brownish -( I personally don't like the strong red you can get).
    Ilford WT with Agfa NE will give browner tones than LPD. I use fotospeed selenium at 1 : 9 with Agfa NE.
    I've used KRST in the past and not sure that there's noticeable difference - tough hard to say as age/dilutions/temperature add variables also.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I got chocolate browns from WTFB & Ilford Selenium 1+3

Didn't care for the colour that much but it was an interesting exercise.

The stronger the solution the greater the colour shift seems to be my "rule of thumb"

Martin

Brian,
    It has been my experience that the developer influences the colour of selenium toned Ilford Warmtone fibre paper. Neutol WA gives cool purple tones and Harman Warmtone developer yields warmer reddish brown tones. In Harmon Selenium toner. I've not tried it in KRST.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Martin,
    I too got a chocolate brown when I toned in Ilford Selnium - and it's not really my taste either. But it was a good exercise when I was at college - I much preferred the cyanotypes when we did toning, although I don't get much of a chance to do these today.

I do still use selenium toner, but for archival permanence rather than tonal shifts.

Nanette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin