Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,281   Posts: 1,534,895   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plus X anomaly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking as well. But 2/3 of a stop doesn't seem like much overexposure unless PX is that sensitive. I have never noticed that before.

BTW, the camera is a recently CLA Leica R4S in manual mode.

-F.
    I was thinking dev. stain too, but this film was processed in D-76 was it not?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I was thinking dev. stain too, but this film was processed in D-76 was it not?
    Exactly! Processed in D-76 mixed to the original formula. Maybe the original formula has some staining characteristics. I'm baffled!

-F.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just finished a roll of 400TX in the same developer and the heavily exposed part of the leader has a brownish cast to it. I also develop for a condenser enlarger so I am thinking that it is the combination of more exposure than the minimum needed and slight under (incomplete) development (-20%).

-F.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Okay, I violated my own (and Anchell's) rule. Anchell's rule: 250ml of stock to fully develop film to its maximum capability. (Paraphrased from Film Developing Cookbook, pp. 31. Up to this latest roll I had been following his advice.

Snip test in the last half hour:

D-76 1+1 ten minutes = faded, brownish (still able to see through) fully exposed leader.

D-76 straight five minutes = virtually opaque (but still a very slight brownish cast) fully exposed leader.

My conclusion: 125ml of stock D-76 in 250ml of working solution isn't sufficient to fully develop a 24 exp. roll of PX, using times/temps from the B/W Darkroom Dataguide.

If anyone can find fault with my logic/experiment, please don't hesitate to set me straight.

Thanks!

-Fred.
    Last edited by Fred Aspen; 03-28-2009 at 03:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    Okay, I violated my own (and Anchell's) rule. Anchell's rule: 250ml of stock to fully develop film to its maximum capability. (Paraphrased from Film Developing Cookbook, pp. 31. Up to this latest roll I had been following his advice.

Snip test in the last half hour:

D-76 1+1 ten minutes = faded, brownish (still able to see through) fully exposed leader.

D-76 straight five minutes = virtually opaque (but still a very slight brownish cast) fully exposed leader.

My conclusion: 125ml of stock D-76 in 250ml of working solution isn't sufficient to fully develop a 24 exp. roll of PX, using times/temps from the B/W Darkroom Dataguide.

If anyone can find fault with my logic/experiment, please don't hesitate to set me straight.

Thanks!

-Fred.
    I think the issue is the brown colour, D76 isn't a staining developer, maybe your D76 is past it's prime....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    I think the issue is the brown colour, D76 isn't a staining developer, maybe your D76 is past it's prime....
    Just mixed the day before from chems fresh from the formulary.

Unless there was some unexpected contamination, but the same developer used undiluted works fine. I think I will go back to TMAX developer, not worth the hassle. No probs with TMAX or Rodinal.

-F.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin