Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,575   Posts: 1,545,711   Online: 776

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hypam has an undiluted pH of 5.5 or so - it very mildly acidic. It is pretty low in smell, and it is relatively inexpensive.

Rapid non-acidic fixers are just fine with pyro-stained films. I've tested pyro with acidic (pH 4.5) stop bath vs. a water bath, and I found no significant difference. Rapid fixer will not make any siginificant difference as well.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    35mm
    Eastern European films, based on older emulsion formulae are not.
    What about Foma 400 and Agfa APX100? Would I need a hardening fixer for those?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    What about Foma 400 and Agfa APX100? Would I need a hardening fixer for those?
    Foma 400 might need hardener, I haven't used it and I can't say for sure. APX100 doesn't need hardener. It was quality film from a big western european manufacturer. But Agfa is kaput since 2005...

EDIT: See this thread about Foma films & hardener.
    Last edited by Anon Ymous; 03-28-2009 at 05:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, they smell...but it is a good smell.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Something that's been alluded to in one or two previous posts but ignored by many others is the fact that there are several common fixer odors:

• Fixers based on ammonium thiosulfate might smell of ammonia -- or they might not. In my experience, TF-3 has the strongest ammonia odor, TF-4 has a reduced but still distinctive ammonia odor, and Kodak Flexicolor fixer has the faintest hint of an ammonia odor.
    • Hardeners seem to have a distinctive odor -- or perhaps that's the smell of the acids used to make fixers hardener-compatible. (I'm not sure which is the case -- or maybe there are two different odors.) This is definitely true of Kodak's standard hardening sodium thiosulfate fixer.
    • Although not an odor per se, fixers can produce gases when used, and these can irritate nasal passages. I found this was a problem with Kodak's standard fixer, and was the reason I stopped using it. I always felt like I had a mild sore throat for a day or so after a darkroom session (especially printing sessions). I believe this effect is most pronounced with acid fixers.

Depending on what one finds objectionable, the best solution for one person could be the worst solution for another. For instance, I'm not all that bothered by the ammonia odor, so I now use TF-3 for most B&W fixing. It lacks the nasal irritation problem that I find so objectionable, and TF-3 works fast.

Since BetterSense specifically mentioned the ammonia odor in his original post, I'm guessing he'd find TF-3, and perhaps even TF-4, unacceptable. Of the fixers I've used, I'd therefore recommend he try Kodak Flexicolor fixer. (Presumably other C-41 fixers would have similar odors.) This is the rapid fixer with the least ammonium odor I've used. Note that Flexicolor fixer, although marketed for color film, works fine with B&W film and paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak's Flexicolor fixer (see it here) has almost no odor, and works like a champ. It is far less smelly than Kodak's powdered sodium thiosulfate fixer. I know it is designed for the C-41 color process, but it is nothing more exotic than a standard, and well buffered, ammonium thiosulfate rapid fixer. There is no hardener and it is almost neutral ph. Best of all, it's cheaper than dirt and has fantastic capacity. I dilute it 1+9 for B&W films and prints, and have absolutely no complaints.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, that IS really cheap. I wish freestyle carried it. I might have to transfer the contents of my freestyle cart over to Adorama and do some calculat'n.

edit: Adorama doesn't have arista premium. doh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love the smell of hypo in the morning.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    35mm
    Although Freestyle doesn't carry Kodak Flexicolor fixer, they do carry Silver Pixel C-41 fixer. Unfortunately, the only quantity is "2x10 liter," so that might not be a good option if you're a light user.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trexx View Post
    I love the smell of hypo in the morning.
    Isn't that the smell of victory?

Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin