Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,720   Posts: 1,483,130   Online: 1243

MFP
    Shooter
    35mm

RC papers and hardening fixer?

Hey all,

So from a previous thread I have found out that major BW films do not need hardening fixer. My question is: do RC papers need hardening fixer? Currently I'm using Ilford MG4 glossy paper.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My understanding is that RC papers at least don't benefit from it, and hardening fixer makes the print more difficult to tone. I bought some by mistake, and have been using it up on film and contact sheets, where I won't be doing any toning anyway.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Images
    Good Afternoon,

If I recall correctly (too lazy to go down to the darkroom to check), the instructions included with Kodak Rapid Fixer suggest not using the hardener when preparing print fixer. Anyway, I always follow that procedure, whether printing RC or FB.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No papers RC or FB need a hardener, all it does is increase the wash times and waste water..

Using a hardener can can be detrimental to the gloss surface on some RC papers.

Ian

MFP
    Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, good to know, thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does no harm, but it isn't needed. The emulsion of papers usually doesn't get enough abuse to benefit from hardeners, ans washing and toning go better without hardening.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin