Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,386   Online: 1127

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think the age of the XTOL is the issue here - the colour, however, is. Healthy XTOL is nearly colourless. Yellow XTOL tells me that a chemical reaction has occurred, and that will have effects on your film development. Whether the effects will be important or not, I can't say for certain, but I highly suspect that they will.

There are two issues here, time and money. Your time to test the developer has value. The film has value. The images have value. The developer has value too, if it works, and you want to make sure you get that value out of it, but the value of your time and your images is, in my opinion, higher. Pitch the XTOL and buy some more.

Incidentally, powdered XTOL keeps a long time, so buy two packages so that you have another to use should you need it. Replace the second package as soon as (or soon before) you mix the last package you have in stock.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd say try it out. A slight yellow tint - I might use. Dark yellow - sounds oxidized to me. I'd hold off. But take a bit of exposed leader and throw it in a cup of XTOL. If it turns black, its still probably useable, but not necessarily as effective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Throwing an exposed film leader into a quantity of XTOL proves nothing more than it is active enough to reduce the silver. It gives no more indication of the developers potency. It might behave normally, or it might not. There is no way to tell with any accuracy unless you can measure the results against a known result. Sorry fellas, too many years of analyzing computer performance metrics taught me that a long time ago.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use X-tol if it's changed colors. It might be ok, but why take the chance? I mix and store in small(er) containers, but if it's hot in the house it seems to turn yellow sooner. (my house is a little hotbox in the summer.) But I always dump it if it's turned. I have no idea if the color change indicates anything, but I figure it's not worth it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Throw it away. Chems are cheap and you're going to buy more anyway. Just wait a day until your store opens and get some new X-Tol.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks again. I managed to buy new XTol today, from another photographer in Stockholm. He also sold me 20 just expired films, all in all for the equivalent of 27 Euro or 36 USD, including the developer. A very good deal to my mind. (Plus-x 125, some kodak NC and VC in both 160 and 400, three Reala etc)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Testing it involves no risk. My current batch of Xtol is older than that, and worked just fine on a roll I processed a few days ago. I did do a test, however.
    Yep. Testing is the way to go. Why take the risk?

But note that some films won't show you black even if the developer works. TMY-2 for example. You have to fix it so you can see the black. I found this out the hard way doing exactly this test. I was sure by XTOL was fine, but it seemed to have no effect on the little chunk of 5x4 TMY-2 I cut off and sloshed in a dish. Then I had that thought, rinsed out the disk and added a bit of fixer. Within a couple of minutes all the coatings and dye layers have dissolved away and I could see the black of fully processed film. I went ahead and ran 10 sheets of 5x4 right away, and it worked beautifully.

I'm just sayin'... Test completely.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    I´ve got a little x-tol left, and it turned dark yellow. Now, I would really like to develop a film (Neopan 1600) tomorrow, but I think that it is impossible to find developer in Stockholm on a Sunday. Can I still use this x-tol? What is you advice?

thanks in ahead!
    Erik
    DON'T DO IT. I speak from experience. I ran a test on an unimportant roll. Turned out fine. Ran my second important roll the same day. Completely blank. Yellow = Death!

Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    "DON'T DO IT. I speak from experience. I ran a test on an unimportant roll. Turned out fine. Ran my second important roll the same day. Completely blank. Yellow = Death!"
    What's amazing is why people STILL X-tol aka "Russian Roulette" developer. Just my 2 cents of course...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because it is good stuff. In all the years I've been using it not once have I had a failure. Aside from the 1L packages, which did have a problem that was acknowledged by Kodak and are by now long gone, I think most of the supposed "failures" are more likely due to improper mixing or storage than anything else.
    Frank Schifano

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin