Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,906   Online: 976

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Yellow X-tol still usable?

I´ve got a little x-tol left, and it turned dark yellow. Now, I would really like to develop a film (Neopan 1600) tomorrow, but I think that it is impossible to find developer in Stockholm on a Sunday. Can I still use this x-tol? What is you advice?

thanks in ahead!
    Erik
    Last edited by Erik Petersson; 03-28-2009 at 08:36 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Misspelling

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That doesn't sound good. Xtol can oxidize and lose all it's activity, so save your film until you can mix up fresh developer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How important are the photos? I would not chance it. How old is it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I mixed it before christmas, if I remember correctly. Too old, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never seen XTOL go yellow. Six months in completely full bottles, or one or two months in half full bottles is the recommended shelf life. I rarely have a 5L batch more than 3 or 4 months before it's all used up, though there have been stretches of time where I've had the developer mixed up for the full six months or more. Mine has always been good, but I'm careful to exclude as much air as possible from the storage container. Your's is probably not good. Best to get a fresh batch of XTOL before you waste the film and the images you've made.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Take a bit of film and expose it to the light, and then toss in it some of your Xtol. If it turns black by 3 minutes, it's probably good. If not, maybe not. If it looks like there is no darkening, then toss it. If it does darken, you may want to double check it and try a test roll first and confirm that it's still good.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

jja

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just two days ago I used the last of my Xtol, from a 5L batch I mixed 10 months ago, and it was definitely yellow. Reading the archives, there has been an ongoing debate about how long Xtol will last, and under what conditions. Users also argue that short shelf life was only a problem with early batches of the developer.

My 5L batch was stored in two 96 oz. (2.84L) plastic juice bottles (white), under a bathroom sink in temperatures ranging from about 60-78 deg. F, depending on the time of year. I am looking at some of the negatives now, and they developed fine. My dilutions have ranged from stock to 1:2. This is my first batch of Xtol, and I'm really happy with its tonality and relatively low grain. I would do a test strip to be safe.

Shooter
    35mm
    XTOL is supposed to last for 6 months, according to Kodak. Their estimates are usually on the conservative side, so if you mixed it "before Christmas" (December 2008), then it's only four months old, and should theoretically be OK, if it was stored properly. That last is very important, though; if you put all your XTOL in one big bottle that you've been using, then there's presumably a lot of air in the bottle by now, which will speed the developer's deterioration. There could also be unknown factors doing the same (contaminants in the water, temperature issues, etc.).

All in all, I'd advise caution. If you absolutely must develop this film before you can get ahold of more XTOL, you might consider mixing up some caffeinol. That's got its risks too, though, at least if you've never used it with the type of film you want to develop.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So, the bottom line is not to take any chances. I thought about this a bit more and remembered that one of my neighbours is a photographer. Maybe he has some stored...
    Thanks for your advice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Testing it involves no risk. My current batch of Xtol is older than that, and worked just fine on a roll I processed a few days ago. I did do a test, however.
    Last edited by bdial; 03-29-2009 at 07:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin