Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,925   Posts: 1,585,029   Online: 992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm strongly considering the move to LF from 35mm. I'm curious as to what ASA film speeds are being used with 4X5 cameras. My 35mm film (Ilford Pan F+, ASA 50) is shot at 32 or 40 EI and I can't imagine shooting that slow a film out of doors at f-32 and slower. Besides, it doesn't come in 4X5.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My grip is that I can't get slow enough film - I generally use FP4+ or EFKE PL100. But you can now get PL25 - which I will try as soon as my current stock is reduced a bit.

So what's the problem? I usually have my camera on a tripod, some of the huge shutters go no faster than 1/50th, and I like to be able to chose the aperture for pictorial reasons. With ISO 400 film in sunshine, that works out to 1/50th at f:45 (from "sunny 16")!

That brings us far up into diffraction territory - and I really prefer to be able to open up to f:4.5... So I want slower film, not faster!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    I'm strongly considering the move to LF from 35mm. I'm curious as to what ASA film speeds are being used with 4X5 cameras. My 35mm film (Ilford Pan F+, ASA 50) is shot at 32 or 40 EI and I can't imagine shooting that slow a film out of doors at f-32 and slower. Besides, it doesn't come in 4X5.
    As Ole says, film speed isn’t really an issue unless you plan to do handheld available light stuff; but that will only make your arms ache! Ilford FP4+ rated at 100 EI is my current choice although I may change to Delta 100 when next I restock.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hummmm, I seem to have lost a post. I like to shoot fast (400 speed B/W) film. The reasons are as follows:1. Wind is a big issue where I live. 2. I usually shoot the film rated at 200 3. Grain is not an issue with sheet film. 4. Did I mention wind? As Ole said I always have my rig on a tripod and I usually get into the f64 range and that usually gets me 1/8 @f64. I cannot remember when I last used 1/30 of a second.
    Your mileage may vary.

lee\c

Images
    I'm with Lee. I don't care about grain, but did I mention the wind. With many exposures in the half and quarter second range, I need all the speed I can get. I'm rating HP5+ at 260.

Where are you getting all that sun, Ole?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    Where are you getting all that sun, Ole?
    Not a lot of sun here this time of year, but glaciers and waterfalls in midday sun tend to strain the limits of my shutters. In many places midday sun is the only light there is, we have some very deep and narrow valleys here...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With 4x5 grain is really a non-issue with enlargements up 16x20 with any speed film. My older ektar lenses seem to have a sweet spot at about f16, so unless I am doing portraiture and want a larger aperature Ilford hp5 is the most flexible for me.

The choice of devloper also should be considered. HC110, XTOL and PMK have been my choices for LF, but my recent tests show Pyrocat-HD to produce the best negatives at a full ei of 400. YMMV.

I agree with Lee. Wind is the single biggest issue to contend with. Not so much from a camera stability perspective (I use a nice, heavy monorail), but due to subject movement. I regularly shoot tri-x in 5X7 rated at 160. Since you use shadow based exposures more with sheet film rather than "average" exposures with 35mm, with a YG or Orange filter, I'm usually shooting at 1/2 sec at f 32 or 1/4 sec at f 22. I'd like to find an even faster film if I could.

Bruce

I use TMax100 (EI 50) because I don't have Efke 25 available here. My std is low ASA, so this is not a problem for me, it is a pleasure.
    sergio caetano

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree with the speed crowd. I like TRI-X - although I still keep and use FP4 for situations where I can use it. I agree that TRI X is good for 16x20 but for larger, I would prefer the FP4. My experience was at the beach - trying to capture the waves and being forced down to F22 and I lost DOF and was not happy with any of the negs. If I had film that was a few stops faster, it would have been ok. - Oh yeh - did I mention wind? So I use Tri x outside and inside (or when it is really still), I use FP4. Don't have too many - get really good with a (very few) couple of emulsions and spend your time in image conception and creation.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin