Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 814

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Hand Coloring - What paper do you use??

So, what papers do the Hand Colorist's prefer? My favorite was Agfa, I think 118. It had that nice "tooth". What is available now that takes the oil well?

Fiber of course.....

Also, who has used the Marshall Pencil's......are they any different from regular colored pencils? And speaking of Marshall's, anyone have tips on getting those tiny little caps off?? (after being not used in 5 years??).....Any other oils available??

Thanks!!

Gordo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Gordo!
    I've used the pencils, and they are not at all like regular colored pencils. The regular colored pencils have a high wax content which keeps them from blending properly. I took a class from one of the ladies here who teaches hand coloring & she is probably the one who would know about paper, but she did recommend Kentmere.

No help with the cap issue... except maybe a pair of pliers! hahaha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Orwo matte paper, sold by Freestyle as "Germany's Finest". Probably an East German copy of Agfa 118.

I prefer pencils - Marshalls and a variety of other brands - but I will occasionally use transparent oils.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    RE: Marshall's oils cap issue
    I have a pair of lobster crackers I found on "http://www.acemart.com/prod8411.html".
    The upper rounded area is the perfect size for Marshall's oil caps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Over the years I used a few papers for hand colouring mainly Agfa Record Rapid (fibre) & Portriga Speed (RC), but also Ilfrord Multigrade FB.

My pet hate is the awful US hand coloured work I've seen, Marshall Oils, pencils etc should be banned

Look at the superb hand coloured work of the late Bob Carlos Clarke, he used toners, colour couplers, and also dyes. It's an area I did a lot of researched for commercial reasons in the late 70's and early 80's. Another photographer James Wedge published an excellent book "Painted ladies".

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the info...........

Shooter
    Medium Format

Caps and Paper

I had a similar problem with Marshall oil tubes and caps after years of non-use. I ran the cap end of the tube under hot water. From time to time I would hold the top end of the tube and do a gentle twist with a pair of pliers. Don't squeeze the pliers too hard or the cap will break or the tube will rupture. If the cap does not twist off with a twist from the pliers then put it under hot water again--then give the pliers another go.

I used to like Agfa Portriga and Kentmere Art Classic but they are both discontinued. I think Foma "Chamois" surface may be worth a try. Kentmere warmtone is OK but the base is a bit too warm for some subjects.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford RC Satin has the best tooth in the RC range. It's a nice paper for normal prints as well. Ilford unfortunately sells very little of it compared to Pearl or Glossy. My fear is that it might disappear so any purchase helps. Sadly you are unlikely to ever see any bargain packs for sale, unlike Pearl or Glossy, as there is so little demand.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian;

I heard from one chemistry teacher that I'm an acquaintance of that his father used to do hand coloring the old fashioned way, with many trays of chemicals. Any chance you could expand on the process in detail?

Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if I've tried the satin, but one of the Ilford portfolio RC papers is really good. I just can't remember which surface. Any that aren't glossy can be made to work.
    I'll scrape the gunk from between the cap and the tube to help loosen them, but I've found that being careful to clean them before putting the cap on makes a big difference.
    The fiber matte finish ones from Ilford work really well, too, but seem to suck the light in more (does that make sense to anyone but me?) and I'm not usually as happy with the prints.
    I've used the Marshall's pencils, but wasn't really happy with how they blended. There's a regular colored pencil - Prismacolor - that works well (though not every color for some reason). I usually use Marshall's oils, but sometimes add some pencil if there's a really small area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin