Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,768   Online: 867

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps I should try something along the lines of:

Metol 4g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhydrous) 25g
    Hydroquinone 12g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous) 65g
    Benzotriazole 2g

Water to 1000ml.

Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Mike, I really miss Cooltone Dev

If you come up with a powder kit I will buy some.

As for poor sales, I could never find a reliable source of it - its the chicken and the egg scenario - we don't stock it & people don't buy it

Martin
    While not being too serious about selling it myself, I'm sure there would be a market for small production runs of a Harman type blue/cool dev. Have tried others that are available in the UK, which are not many, and none quite compare though are all good (expensive) developers. Another reason to mix it oneself!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While not being too serious about selling it myself, I'm sure there would be a market for small production runs of a Harman type blue/cool dev. Have tried others that are available in the UK, which are not many, and none quite compare though are all good (expensive) developers. Another reason to mix it oneself!
    For a specialized developer, I'd prefer something I can mix myself. Whereas a standard developer such as Fotospeed PD-5 I'm happy to buy in 5 litre quantities for convenience.

Tom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Martin you can order our Clayton Ultra Cold Tone Developer from Digital Truth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Perhaps I should try something along the lines of:

Metol 4g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhydrous) 25g
    Hydroquinone 12g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous) 65g
    Benzotriazole 2g

Water to 1000ml.

Tom.
    That's along the right lines, have a look at Defender (Dupont) 54-D which is described as a coldBlue tone developer. Note the Carbonate is increased.

Defender 54-D

Metol 2.7 g
    Sodium sulphite 40.0 g
    Hydroquinone 10.6 g
    Sodium carbonate (anhyd) 75.0 g
    Potassium bromide 0.8 g
    Water to 1.0 litre

Dilute 1:2.

Then consider Bürki and Jenny's Cold tone developer
    Supposed to give greater blue/black tone than 54-D

Bürki and Jenny's Cold tone developer

Metol 3.0 g
    Sodium sulphite 40.0 g
    Hydroquinone, 12.0 g
    Sodium carbonate (anhyd) 65.0 g
    Potassium bromide 0.8 g
    Water to 1.0 liter

Dilute 1:2 - add between 6.0 ml and 15.0 ml 1% Benzotriazole solution, more Benzotriazole gives colder Blue tone.

Dropping the Sulphite and increasing the Carbonate as in 54-D will give a more vigorous developer, with less of a solvent effect, and adding the Benzotriazole as in "Bürki and Jenny's" will help.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In addition the use of Potassium Iodide as the restrainer will give much Bluer tones, however this might be at the expense of archival permanence, I'm just reading some research by Grant Haist.

But this does lead to the possibility of a bleach / redevelopment process for "Blue" tones using a KI based re-halogenating bleach & re-developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

cold tones

it just seems from my own personal research that the paper you use is far more suseptible to tones than the developer is usually capable of...try slavich with something like zone VI and add benzo...freezing cold!! most of the formulas worked well for the older papers but have little or no effect on modern ones...
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter,

As far as I'm aware the Slavich papers are not distributed in the UK, or generally in the EU.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Earlier today I mixed up my proposed formula (Experimental Cold Tone Paper Developer V.2.0) which works well at 1+3 dilution, and produces strong blacks with Kentmere Bromide, good contrast and tonality etc. However, I would not classify the tones as blue-black. I then added 1g Benzotriazole to the working solution which seemed counter productive, and resulted in odd changes in tonality and contrast.

The ID-62 developer with reduced Potassium Bromide and the addition of Benzotriazole in 20, + 10, + 20, + 30, + 20ml increments produced similar results to my altered D-72. The tone was slightly warmer before the addition of Benzotriazole and resulted in similar problems to E.C.T.P.D v2 at higher concentrations of Benzotriazole.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In addition the use of Potassium Iodide as the restrainer will give much Bluer tones, however this might be at the expense of archival permanence, I'm just reading some research by Grant Haist.

But this does lead to the possibility of a bleach / redevelopment process for "Blue" tones using a KI based re-halogenating bleach & re-developer.

Ian
    Ian,

In what sort of quantities would you suggest adding Potassium iodide in a single bath development scenario?

If using a bleach and redeveloping technique does the Potassium iodide still introduce potential stability concerns?

Tom.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin