Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,379   Online: 759

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Formulating cold tone paper developers

In the process of trying some papers for the first time, I adapted D-72 with increased Metol, reduced Potassium Bromide, with the addition of Benzotriazole following the most frequent recommendation.

Metol 4g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhydrous) 50g
    Hydroquinone 12g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous) 65g
    Potassium Bromide 0.5g
    200ml Benzotriazole 1% solution.
    water to make 1000ml.

Dilutions used 1+1 and 1+3. 3 minutes development time.

The results were strong blacks, good tonal distribution and reasonably neutral-to-cold tones on Kentmere Bromide but not definite blue-black tones. Kentona still maintained its warm tone. In the June 2006 issue of 'Black & White Photography' (UK) Mike Crawford gives an example of Kentmere Kentona developed in ILFORD Cooltone developer (now discontinued) displaying a definite cold tone shift from the paper's usual warm tone.

I didn't mix Maxim Muir's blue-black developer I as don't have any Sodium Hydroxide in stock.

Any ideas on achieving results closer to ILFORD Cooltone developer?

Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have you tried the Clayton Ultra Cold Tone developer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    Have you tried the Clayton Ultra Cold Tone developer?
    No, I'm in the UK.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    In the process of trying some papers for the first time, I adapted D-72 with increased Metol, reduced Potassium Bromide, with the addition of Benzotriazole following the most frequent recommendation.

Metol 4g
    Sodium Sulphite (anhydrous) 50g
    Hydroquinone 12g
    Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous) 65g
    Potassium Bromide 0.5g
    200ml Benzotriazole 1% solution.
    water to make 1000ml.

Dilutions used 1+1 and 1+3. 3 minutes development time.

The results were strong blacks, good tonal distribution and reasonably neutral-to-cold tones on Kentmere Bromide but not definite blue-black tones. Kentona still maintained its warm tone. In the June 2006 issue of 'Black & White Photography' (UK) Mike Crawford gives an example of Kentmere Kentona developed in ILFORD Cooltone developer (now discontinued) displaying a definite cold tone shift from the paper's usual warm tone.

I didn't mix Maxim Muir's blue-black developer I as don't have any Sodium Hydroxide in stock.

Any ideas on achieving results closer to ILFORD Cooltone developer?

Tom.
    Did you try it without the bromide? With 200 ml 2% BZT I don't think you need it...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Evan,

I didn't try the developer without the Potassium Bromide; probably a good direction to head.

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You've probably rather over done the Benzotriazole, essentially you've gone towards ID-62/ID-20 it should be quite cold.

Ilford Cooltone dev used a proprietary agent instead of Benzotriazole.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You've probably rather over done the Benzotriazole, essentially you've gone towards ID-62/ID-20 it should be quite cold.

Ilford Cooltone dev used a proprietary agent instead of Benzotriazole.

Ian
    Less Benzotriazole should give colder tones? Would you expect ID-62 with additional Benzotriazole to give colder tones?

Tom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Mr. Kershaw: we ship to the U.K. cheCk with DIGITAL TRUTH for CLAYTON ULTRA COLD TONE DEVELOPER

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ID62 with the KBr reduced to about 0.5g and probably 60-100ml Benzotriazole should give quite cold tones. Anscojohn does the same with Agfa-Ansco 103.

There's a point where the Benzotriazole will give optimal Cold tones, once you go past that poin it will will have a adverse effect on the overall balance and working of the developer.

I'd suggest making up a litre of stock dev with low Bromide, then try adding the Benzotriazole 5ml at a time by syringe to the dilute working solution and do some quick tests finding the optimal level. It may differe depending on the paper.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest making up a litre of stock dev with low Bromide, then try adding the Benzotriazole 5ml at a time by syringe to the dilute working solution and do some quick tests finding the optimal level. It may differe depending on the paper.
    ID-62 stock developer?

Tom.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin