Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,597   Online: 970

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sorry fotch
    i don't think there is any puffery involved in
    a lot of cases ... it is a well known fact that x=x

as for foma turning developer blue .. that is why i use
    a water bath .. and most films leech out the anti halation layer ...
    and most of the time i pour it off in my water bath ...

sorry to hear of your troubles dave ..
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way, I don't think Fomapan in sheets is normally on a blue base even under its "native" label. I've only used Fomapan 100 in 9x12, but that certainly isn't the vivid blue of the rollfilm---maybe someone with direct experience of the 2x3 size can confirm or deny that it's on a clear(ish) base in that size as well.

On the other hand, the Arista version of Fomapan 100 and 400 in 120 is the infamous blue. (I assume the 200 is as well, but I've never used it to see for myself.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Anyhow, this is a very specific case of a company doing a poor job of naming their products.
    It has gotten confusing but I think I would cut freestyle some slack on this one.

Way back when they sold "english Profesional" which uas made in england and presumably came from Ilford.

Freestyle started using "Arista" to name their private brand stuff.

Ilford got into financial trouble, and reorgaonized - droping the avilabity of the that private label product.

Freestyle went to a product from AGFAphoto - and since it was different they called it Arista II the next generation. we know what happened to agfa photo.

In an effort to have a value proce for the educational market, the brought in Arista.EDU (marked "Value" right on the cassette) from Hungary, where Forte was the only known supplier. Forte went our of business.

Now they have Arista EDU Ultra which is apperently FOMA.

{OFF Topic-- some that I got recently of both the EDU Ultra and the FOMA action were in ferania C-41! Cassettes, which I guess were surplus as I understand Ferania has left the film business. Freestyle is clearing the ARISTA COLOUR stock.}

having scrambled they also came out with the Arista Professional which for some reason is CHEAPer then the foma product. All signs are that it is actually made by Kodak.

Now the next brand is quite different - Legacy Pro which is made in Japan.

Three of the brands have been basicaly yanked out form under freestyle.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would agree that, while the canned vegatables analogy certainly applies to chemistry, I doubt the bulk-purchase/rebranding game is sophisticated enough to include manufacturers tooling up for slightly different B&W emulsion runs when it comes to film. -You buy a BIG lot of Tri-x, you get to sell it as "Artistical Tripletex" or whatever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is!

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
    Well, a couple of years ago, I bought Arista.EDU 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film. After processing, my TMAX developer was a purplish black stuff. The negative was clear (i.e. the base wasn't blue :like Foma). Yeah, all the Foma I've developed has that blue base and it never turned the developer into that purplish black gunk.
    Foma roll film has a blue base, Foma sheet film has a clear base. Foma sheet film has an antihaliation dye that come off in the developer...or a water presoak.
    Arista.edu.ultra (note the "ultra") is Foma brand film. Arista.edu (note absence of Ultra) is NOT Foma...but has been sourced from Forte.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    there used to be a thread on the lf info site
    that was called j&c, forte, whats the difference ..
    it explained who was who in the film-rename-game..
    i haven't been able to locate it
    but this is the closest i could find

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Three of the brands have been basicaly yanked out form under freestyle.
    Maybe Freestyle underselling them has put them out of business

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    It has gotten confusing but I think I would cut freestyle some slack on this one.
    Yes, Freestyle has had to deal with changing suppliers. My criticism had to do with the names that Freestyle chose, though, and those choices were (presumably) their own, not their suppliers'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    On the other hand, the Arista version of Fomapan 100 and 400 in 120 is the infamous blue. (I assume the 200 is as well, but I've never used it to see for myself.)-NT
    It is.
    Frank Schifano

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin