Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,407   Online: 893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Help with process for determining development times

So, in the process of setting up my new darkroom I am moving from stainless steel inversion tanks to a Jobo CPP2 with lift. I have used a Jobo before and am familiar with its operation, though this particular Jobo is new to me.

I have some Pyrocat HD that I would like to test for development time. For various reasons, I would prefer to shoot at box speed and adjust development to match. I am however a little confused on how to do this. My plan was to shoot a normal scene say 4 times, then process each one for a different amount of time and go with the one that looks good.

I don't have a densitometer or sensitometer. I'm not exposing using the zone system. I see that Richard Ritter offers a service - Film testing - but I'm not sure if this would help me or how I would use it.

I guess what I need is a beginner's tutorial on determining development speed.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    What film will you be using and what printing process? What metering technique?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Film - mostly Acros 100 and FP4+. Printing - Silver gelatin via condenser head. Metering - incident metering.

Thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Jeff,

If you are comfortable using BTZS metering techniques, you could start with the silver times that Clay Harmon has posted here. That will put you very close to the right times for FP4 and all you would have to do is shoot and see how it goes and adjust a bit here and there.

-Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Never used BTZS metering, but I found some starting times that look good. I figured I could just look at the test negs on my light table, but I'm not sure if I need something more scientific.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    BTZS metering is easy. Take a reading in the shadows and a reading in the bright area, subtract the low EV from the high EV and add that to 5. Thus, if your bright area is an EV 15 and the shadow area an EV 13, you have a SBR of 7 (which is "normal" in zone system terms). Then look at the times recommended for that SBR and develop accordingly. You could also look at Phil Davis's book.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That doesn't sound too hard at all. My meter has a spot meter on it, I just never delved into using it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Your idea of shooting at box speed and altering development will likely work with the films you mention. However, many films will be underexposed by 2/3 of a stop or more if used at box speed. Since correct exposure is based on shadow values, and development primarily alters highlight values it is necessary to determine your correct EI prior to determining correct development time.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Clip tests.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you use BTZS to determine exposure you should use an incident meter, not a spot meter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin