Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,526   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilfobrom Galeire, is it lithable?

Hi!

Might get an opportunity to buy a decent amount of Ilford Ilfobrom Galerie G2 Fb 12x16" sheets for a reasonable price but I´d like to justify it more than just for the good price.
    I know there are a lot of "likers" out there but I pretty much do lith printing and not that much conventional and of that background I urge for info.

So, for the lith capability, is there any use buying the Galerie for lith printing? Will it lith? Anyboy tried it and know the characteristics? Lith easy? Lith neutral? Quick? Etc Etc?

I appreciate any recommendation that help me buy or decline.
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In short, no.
    Longer, while you can use different developers for Galerie, it does quite little to change the final result. Galerie in itself is a very good paper with very deep blacks and good Dmax. It is also very reliable. When it was introduced it was intended to be the best paper Ilford had to offer, something which is still valid if you're looking for a good single-graded paper. You can find out all there is to know about Galerie in a concurrent thread (except for lith ...).
    But according to Tim R. it doesn't lith print well. I don't know about bleaching and redeveloping, but that is something which will help with almost every paper. (As Tim R. says it's not a good lith paper, I havn't tested it in lith, but given that I've done quite a lot of normal printing with Galerie, what Tim says makes sense. Galerie is a very "stable" paper which holds its rather cold tone no matter what. It reacts extremly little to various toners, a fact which also tells me that lith printing is out of the question.)

Så, skit i de...

//Björn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, it does lith. I have no experience with G2, but assume the response would not be as dramatic as G3 or G4. And I agree that normal prints on Galerie respond slowly to gold and selenium, the lith print really grabs it up. (The sepia-gold combination, I don't know about.)

Galerie has a lot of silver and no developer in the emulsion. If you ever wonder if a particular paper is lithable, you can test with a drop of potassium hydroxide or Na OH (basically, your part B) on a test strip. Slow response or no response indicates absence of developers in the emulsion, and will lith.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great! Thanks.

Wouldn´t ask for better info. Where else to find it...?

I´ve tried the B part exercise on other papers before but is not an option on un-buyed paper.

Lovely news really. I´ll most likely buy the sheets and process a test portfolio. Can one expect Bromofort/Bromide-like-paper-characteristics maybe? Kind of unique and colder effect on similar ones which can be very spectacular and catchy for suited negs.

Å döh, Bjöön, schluta tjöta schiiit. Här schka lith:as me Galerie. ;-)
    Ha D!

/P

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've not tried Galerie and lith, but the general answer when someone asks "does it lith" is to try it and see how you like it. There are papers out there that some people love in lith that I hate. It might give you the results you're looking for. It would be worth buying a small pack of paper to do some testing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if it doesn't work for lith printing, it's well worth the investment. I'm about to try some for myself after seeing some stunning results with it.

Jag tror ockso att det nog ar bast o skita i det...

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The cosmos must be lining up, Thomas...I just ordered some Grade 3 paper to try! Have never used it before, and am really looking forward to it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, it's good news that Galerie actually reacts to lith printing. Apart from that it have always been one of my favourites, even though some odd papers have come and gone in the meantime. During those 20 odd years, in which a number of other makes and brands have gone past, Galerie have always been just about the same, i.e. a very good high quality paper.

Sorry, but I just have to tell him.
    Jag är själv göteborgare av födsel och ohejdad vana, så jag vill bara påpeka att i ordet "tjôta" ska det vara ett circumflex över o'et å inte vanliga sketna prickar, så de så.

//Björn (med vanliga djävla prickar då rå...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have tried few months ago Galerie G2, but it does not lith in LP-Superlith. So should I assume that only G2 is not lithable and G3 is?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Drop a test strip of your G2 in the pan, with the lights on and see what happens. Every paper is different in how it responds with different concentrations, bromide levels, semiquinone levels, temp, exposure, etc. The G3 and G4 lith, so I can't imagine the G2 would not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin