Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,795   Online: 794

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC-TEA redux

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While we're on the subject, has anyone done much experimentation with different dilutions of PC-TEA? Xtol, to which PC-TEA is often (naturally enough) compared, has the reputation of doing interesting things at higher dilutions (e.g., increased film speed), but I don't know whether PC-TEA shows the same properties. I can experiment, of course---I'm just wondering if anyone has already gotten around to it.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Concerning dilutions, PC-TEA's recommended dilution of 1+50 is pretty dilute. This dilution works out to 0.049g of phenidone (starting with the 0.25g/100ml version) and 1.76g of ascorbic acid per liter of working solution. For comparison, Mytol (an XTOL workalike) at 1+1 dilution works out to 0.075g of phenidone and 6.5g of sodium ascorbate per liter of working solution, and DS-10 (another PC developer) 1+1 is 0.075g of Dimezone S and 4g of ascorbic acid. So it looks like PC-TEA at 1+50 is similar in developing agent concentration to XTOL or DS-10 at 1+3 to 1+4 dilution. Of course, there are other factors at work, but if one were to experiment with dilutions, I'd recommend starting by going less dilute rather than more. If going more dilute, be sure to use plenty of solution (say, 500ml per roll), otherwise you might exceed the capacity of the developing agents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    Of course, there are other factors at work, but if one were to experiment with dilutions, I'd recommend starting by going less dilute rather than more.
    Interesting, and I guess that makes handwavey sense given that PC-TEA is often compared to Xtol 1+2 (which is fairly dilute).

I've thought of going less dilute to shorten the developing times. With Xtol, my (limited) understanding is that one would expect slightly slower film speed, somewhat finer grain and decreased acutance due to the higher solvent levels, and a slight flattening of the characteristic curve (why?).

I don't know whether the same effects would obtain with higher concentrations of PC-TEA---I guess it depends largely on how much solvent action TEA is capable of. Is that known, in general terms?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin