Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,738   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC-TEA redux

Shooter
    Multi Format

PC-TEA redux

Hi,

After the minor *#$& storm I inadvertently caused in my last PC-TEA thread I'm hesitant to try again but here it goes...

Mr. Gainer's formula in the Darkroom Cookbook calls for 0.5g of phenidone but I've seen formulas posted that also specify 0.2g or 0.25g. What is the "official" amount of phenidone needed to achieve D76-like characteristics at 1:50?

Thanks,

Ash

Shooter
    35mm

PC-TEA

I know I have at least 2 different copies of The Darkroom Cookbook by Stephen G. Anchell. The one I have in my hands now is from 1994. I don't see PC-TEA or Patrick Gainer's name in it. I also just found a copy of The Film Developing Cookbook by Anchell & Troop from 1998. It also does not seem to have a reference to either PC-TEA or Patrick Gainer. My own recollection was that the amount of phenidone was 0.25 grams. I haven't made it in a while or I might be more certain. I found this amount more difficult to measure than the other two ingredients. I think I used an electronic postage scale and concerted from ounces to grams. At some point I will dig out my eBay-bought Mettler P1000 and find the calibration instructions. The next time I mix up PC-TEA I think I will make an amount starting with 400ml of TEA and then use volumetric measurement for the ascorbic acid and phenidone with the correspondingly larger volumes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After spending a few rigorous minutes with Google, I found a bunch of recipes calling for 0.25 g phenidone (per 100 ml of stock), and at least one suggestion for 0.225 g instead. The latter bumps the ratio of vitamin C to phenidone up from 36 to 40---the same as PC-Glycol---but I don't know if the difference is important.

Tiny weights are hard to measure, which is one reason I keep my phenidone stock in propylene glycol. It's pretty easy to measure out small volumes with a syringe that way. But given the apparently infinite shelf life of PC-TEA, mixing up a bigger batch makes sense too.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    There's now a third edition of the Darkroom Cookbook. I don't have it so I don't know its contents, though.

The original description for PC-TEA was in Photo Techniques magazine, March/April 2004. I don't have that issue handy, but the formula I copied from it that I do have handy specifies 0.25g of phenidone to make 100ml of stock solution. It's possible that Patrick Gainer has updated the formula since then for whatever reason, or it could be that the Darkroom Cookbook entry is a modification by Anchell or a typo, or maybe that version is to make 200ml of stock solution. Chances are it'll work either way, but you might need to adjust your times a bit. Perhaps Patrick Gainer will post his comments (he is active on APUG)....

Times below were probably established using the formula containing 0.25 gm phenidone, 9 g Ascorbic acid and 100 ml TEA.For other films see under unlisted data, it is suggested to use Xtol 1+2 times.
    http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...TEA&mdc=Search
    3rd Edition Darkroom Cookbook p30 does give give 0.5g phenidone but I am using the original formula till there is more info on this.

Images
    I'm in my 82nd year of trying to remember what I did the previous year.

For a given concentration of Phenidone, there is a certain concentration of ascorbic acid above which the activity shows no measurable increase. The ratio levels off at about 40:1. Theoretically, the ascorbic acid is what is used up because the phenidone is replenished. Increasing the ratio has little effect on initial activity, but affects the quantity of film that can be processed uniformly in a given amount of working solution. If you want to do an experiment, see how much ascorbic acid you can dissolve in a given amount of TEA and add 1/50 that weight of Phenidone. Now do a test to find the development time for the kind of negs you like.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hardly dare to ask, but, what is the real up to date and ultimate PC-TEA formula (+ mixing instructions) now?

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know that I'm current, PC-TEA is something of a moving target, but according to my copy of the latest version - the third edition - of the Darkroom Cookbook:

PC-TEA

TEA ...................... 100 ml
    Phenidone .............. 0.5 g
    Ascorbic Acid ......... 9.0 g

Heat the solvent, TEA, covered, in water bath and add the Phenidone and the Ascorbic acid.

Patrick Gainer suggests a 1:50 dilution. Developing times much like D-76 1:1.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

The formula I've been using:

100ml TEA
    9g Vitamin C
    0.25g Phenidone.

I use 1+50 dilution, i.e. 10ml PC-TEA and 500ml water.

If I can't find a time listed for a particular film, I take the average of D76 1+1 and Xtol 1+1 times. If they are wildly different, I'll look at the Rodinal 1+50 time as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tank you both for the two slightly different formulas, I will be waiting for some more variations and take the mathematical average of the Phenidone, this will do for me...

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin