Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,559   Online: 767

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    If you'r a wine drinker or know people who are and 3 ltr wine boxes are available in the U.S then the dispenser in the silver winebag can be removed after the wine is finished and the silver bag flushed out and filled with chems. Squeeze the bag until the liquid is at the neck, replace the dispenser, put bag back into the box and you have a light proof, shatterproof and air proof container that can dispense liquid in very accurate and spill free quantities.

pentaxuser
    In my industry (Toiletries) you'll often find microbially sensitive stuff, especially that based on food products delivered in them. Ideal. The compounders can dispense what they want without the attraction of having to stick a hand through a big thick layer of green fur that complains when you disturb it!
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    I think the amber thing is overblown. Don't store your chemistry on a sunny window sill and you won't have a problem.
    I one time I read in a magazine that the Amber bottles were chemicaly netrual while "SOME" clear bottles could not be...
    For the difference in price ($0 at the time) it seemed like a good idea to save brown bottles. Back then the local drugstore would often have some they were throwing out. I think I still have some of those.

I have sonce added some brown bottles from a website that sells suplies to the soap and fragrance folks. you want to search for "amber boston rounds"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can paint the bottles if they need to be darker for some reason. You can also easily squeeze them, which is nice. Additionally, you can find them in 1 L size, as well as a zillion other sizes. Beverage bottles generally have much better air seals in the cap than Kodak bottles, and certainly better than Ilford, with their seals that seem impossible to peel off cleanly. Make sure they are labeled well for safety, and so you don't forget what is in them......
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-03-2009 at 10:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    You can paint the bottles if they need to be darker for some reason.
    I did this a while ago with some clear glass bottles. The paint eventually started to peel away, which made a mess, and some of it got into the bottles, which of course is bad. I don't recommend this. IMHO, it'd be better to wrap bottles in paper or aluminum foil if you're concerned about making clear bottles more light-resistant.

You can also easily squeeze them, which is nice.
    I assume you're referring to squeezing plastic bottles to expel unwanted air. That only works so far, and only with some bottles, but I suppose it works well enough up to a point. Note that photo stores sell accordion bottles that are designed with this sort of thing in mind. I have yet to see any real person actually recommend them, though. They're difficult to clean and the ones I've seen are made of HDPE, which isn't a desirable type of plastic for developers. I bought a few of these when I first started doing my own developing, but I ended up putting them out with my recyclables.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I did this a while ago with some clear glass bottles. The paint eventually started to peel away, which made a mess, and some of it got into the bottles, which of course is bad. I don't recommend this. IMHO, it'd be better to wrap bottles in paper or aluminum foil if you're concerned about making clear bottles more light-resistant.

I assume you're referring to squeezing plastic bottles to expel unwanted air. That only works so far, and only with some bottles, but I suppose it works well enough up to a point. Note that photo stores sell accordion bottles that are designed with this sort of thing in mind. I have yet to see any real person actually recommend them, though. They're difficult to clean and the ones I've seen are made of HDPE, which isn't a desirable type of plastic for developers. I bought a few of these when I first started doing my own developing, but I ended up putting them out with my recyclables.
    Hi,

I didn't mean to imply that these can act as accordion bottles; just that you can squeeze out the small air space that results from solution loss from chemicals sticking to papers, trays, films, and tanks.

I don't paint bottles myself any more, as I have pretty much been convinced that it is not necessary. However, I have lost only a flake here and there off of the bottles I still have. Hardly a nuisance to me.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to manage a photo lab, and we always had empty chemical bottles left over after mixing C41 & RA4.
    I kept quite a few of these - the bleach came in brownish plastic with blue screw tops. Cost me zilch and are still going strong.
    I made sure they were thoroughly rinsed out with hot water and now store various developers etc.

If you wanted opaque bottles but didn't want glass, perhaps a visit to your local Walmart or local photolab could help out. Plus they can never be mistaken for soda bottles by anybody - most have labels that won't come off easy with warnings on them.

I also use emptied chemical bottles for small print runs - mix as I use and store the rest in a variety of the types I listed above.

Works for me.

- Nanette
    www.nanettereid.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whatever is used be sure it is clear. One good look will
    tell if the solution has formed any precipitate, changed
    color, or become cloudy. Also when cleaned, how
    clean will be easy to determine.

My storage consists of the time tested clear amber
    glass bottles. A chemistry lab standard. Very affordable.
    They are available in clear or amber, narrow and wide
    mouth with a variety of caps/lids. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have a few hundred Amber Glass bottles available if anyone is interested. Search Classified for Amber Bottles.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I don't paint bottles myself any more, as I have pretty much been convinced that it is not necessary. However, I have lost only a flake here and there off of the bottles I still have. Hardly a nuisance to me.
    Maybe the type of paint matters. I used a flat black spray paint, but I don't recall the details beyond that. It could also be that paint adheres better to plastic than to glass (assuming you painted plastic bottles).

Like you, I no longer believe dark storage is necessary for most chemicals, so I don't bother.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you aren't supposed to use HDPE then why do all the camera shops sell "chemical bottles" made of the stuff? I've got a dozen sitting in a box! Can I use them for all the other chemicals, stop bath, fixer, ect?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin