Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,858   Online: 771

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Cheap Chemical Storage

Was just wondering if the use of clean 1 and 2 liter soda pop bottles for the storage of mixed development solutions. I know that they are clear but if one kept them in a dark place at all times would they hold for reasonable time.
    If not, any other good ideas for an inexpensive source.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    They are perfect for what you are planning to use them for.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's what I use. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Some rootbeer bottles are actually brown, too, but I use mostly water bottles because I don't drink pop.

Shooter
    35mm
    For developers, I favor glass. I use IBC root beer glass bottles for my working print developer, and various others (mostly in smaller sizes, since I mix my own in 1-liter or smaller quantities) for stock solutions. I've started using plastic for some non-developer storage. Mostly these are former flavored water and iced tea bottles; some of them have nice wide mouths.

FWIW, Ryuji Suzuki wrote this piece on plastic bottles. As per that page, be sure to avoid #2 (HDPE) plastic bottles for developers, since HDPE is gas-permeable and developers are sensitive to this. HDPE is commonly used in milk, orange juice, and some water bottles. #1 (PET or PETE) bottles are better for developers. This type of plastic is used in soda, flavored water, and some plain water bottles.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, one other thing: I gather that the need to keep photochemicals dark is overblown. Most photochemicals won't be greatly damaged by exposure to light. I asked about this a while ago and got a list of photochemicals that shouldn't be exposed to light. It was a pretty obscure list, but I don't have it handy at the moment. I've stopped worrying about it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found a unique and useful bottle the other day. In developing color RA4 and reversal RA4 in Cibachrome drums, 3 oz water washes are necessary at several steps. Rather than pouring water in to measuring cups for each of these steps, I fill a margarita mix bottle with water - using the built-in liquor pourer one can pour like a bartender and measure the quantity by count rather than visual measures. It works great for relatively non-critical steps like water rinses or stop baths when you need 3 or 4 ounces. I suppose one could do it for dev and blix also, but I prefer those to be more precise, altho the counts are pretty darned accurate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just make sure they are well labelled and out of the reach of children
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In general, plastic is just fine. After all, that's what the manufacturers use to package developer concentrates.

That said, it is probably prudent to consider how long you plan to store the chemicals when choosing how to store it. The plastic bottles that the manufacturers use are much thicker than ordinary soda bottles. There could be a difference in chemical composition of the plastcis as well - I haven't checked that.

I generally use print developers as a one shot, so I don't worry about storage. I do store film developer (HC-110), and in that case I choose to use glass bottles. But the bottles I use are recycled beer or lemon juice concentrate bottles.

Ain't no way I'm going to spend good money on bottles when I put a bin of them out for recycling every other week!
    Louie

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I like the Ocean Spray Cranberry juice bottles, both the round 4 liter and the square 2 liter. My wife drinks this every day and I have an unlimited supply of sturdy jugs which can be discarded after a couple uses...EC

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When we go to our local brew pub we buy Growlers of our favorite beer from them and when its empty(which doesnt take too long) I wash them out and use them for chemicals. They are dark brown bottles that hold about a gallon of chemicals.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin