Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,608   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Gorringe View Post
    Is pharmaceutical grade citric acid likely to need buffering and where do the sodium salts come from, tap water?
    Sometimes I'm stupid, the developer obviously.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Is there any practical value to buffering? Perhaps it increases the capacity? SB-8 exhausts rather quickly IIRC.

The SB-8 formula is 15 grams of Citric Acid and water to make 1 liter. How much sodium carbonate (which I've got) would you suggest as a buffering agent? I don't own a pH meter.

Thank you.
    Buffering increases capacity, but citric acid is inexpensive and you can replace the bath easily.

The 15 g/l is used because more might be too acidic and less would be less acidic and have less capacity. As noted, carryover of sodium salts from the developer would tend to raise pH and buffer the stop, so replenishment with more fresh stop would be quite effective for a while.

Without a pH meter or pH paper strips, I would not suggest experimentation. Just use the recommended formula.

PE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin