Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,882   Online: 1016

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Be careful. You've printed those negs, right?
    I did not get a chance to print them yet, Maybe next week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I have an old Weston, as well as a second dial thermometer. Might be an old Unicolor; or maybe a Beseler. I have four or five new mercury school lab thermometers carefully stored away. I bought them when they were no longer allowed to be used with the youngsters around them.

I use one of them to calibrate the dial thermometers periodically; and once or twice a year I use two of the others to check the one I use for calibration.

Of course, having the luxury of a basement darkroom, my temps stay pretty constant, so i have few surprises in any case.
    My basement cold tap water is within a half degree from 68f in the summer (52f now in April) I cant wait for summer! I have both Weston and Unicolor dial thermometers that are within .5 degrees of each other so i went to a old photoshop and bought a Delta glass thermometer expecting to find that my dial thermometers were off and found the Delta to be 2.5 degrees off. I trust my old dial thermometers over the Delta but i could be wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    I did not get a chance to print them yet, Maybe next week.
    Well, the proof (pun intended) of the negative is in the printing.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Density on the left looks best in the scan. It'll be interesting how the comparison fares in printing.

When I proof negs with the scanner, I scan the negatives as a raw film - a positive without any adjustments whatsoever. Then I invert them in my image editing program, desaturate it, and change the density so that there's pitch black on the film rebate and stop. Then, finally, I adjust the highlights to where they look good without blocking up (knowing for almost certain that I can get the same highlight density when printing).

That gives me a fair approximation and hint whether the neg is good or not.

From here, the left half of the 'print' looks best, but let's see the results of your printing!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    My basement cold tap water is within a half degree from 68f in the summer (52f now in April) I cant wait for summer! I have both Weston and Unicolor dial thermometers that are within .5 degrees of each other so i went to a old photoshop and bought a Delta glass thermometer expecting to find that my dial thermometers were off and found the Delta to be 2.5 degrees off. I trust my old dial thermometers over the Delta but i could be wrong.
    The Delta is probably an alcohol thermometer. If you could get a good mercury thermometer to use as a check for all three you would be well advised. I read somewhere once about checking thermometers against a drug store fever thermometer, but never thought is was a good idea: what is needed is accuracy at around the temps commonly used.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used a mercury thermometer for years but I've always considered it in the same way as my light meters. As long as I'm calibrating my entire process around it, it really doesn't matter if it's "dead on" or not. My dev. times work for "my" 20 deg. C - like my film speed is "my" ISO. I think the consistency is more important than the absolute.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin