Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,729   Online: 863

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Over developing?

I recently bought some Efke25 4x5 sheets and noticed there was a development chart inside. I read the chart and noticed that the recommended developing time with D76 is 6 minutes for Kb25, R25, and PL25. I just developed some 120mm Pl25 for 8.5 minutes and thought that they looked good! But now it seems i have over-developed by more than 40%. Below is a photo that i developed for 8.5 minutes, Does it look like it went 40% to long in the developer? As you can i see i didn't use the correct amount of developer and when i noticed that i hurried to fill it more and was to late. I warmed up enough for a 35mm roll but was developing a 120mm roll (I hate when that happens)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img532.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Looks fine to me.

Shoot for the shadows, develop for the highlights.

The section to the right has a bit more detail but the section on the left doesn't look totally blown.

Which do you like better?
    Last edited by markbarendt; 04-04-2009 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fat fingers
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    The left actually looks better to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Looks fine to me.

Shoot for the shadows, develop for the highlights.

The section to the right has a bit more detail but the section on the left doesn't look totally blown.

Which do you like better?
    Thank you Mark, I like the left side better. I got my development time from Digitaltruth.com, which i always have. About shooting for the shadows and develop for highlights, well, that's something i still have to learn about. I will search the forums and try to find a thread on that subject.

Thank for your responding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    J,

The point I'm making is that you have already created a great example of how different development times affect your film and which you like.

The published times are just suggested starting points.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actual developing time can be something as simple as individual technique. What works for you, and gives you easily printable negatives that say what you want your photograph to say, is the correct developing time.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Actual developing time can be something as simple as individual technique. What works for you, and gives you easily printable negatives that say what you want your photograph to say, is the correct developing time.

Thank you John, I agree 100%.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Developing and printing is something I found to be personal. In the class I am taking the instructor tries to press her eyes on us. In other words she tells us what looks good to her and tries to push that on us. What looks good to me does not look good to her. I am slowly finding my own feel of what I think is right to me. Like John said, my individual technique

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick-in-LB View Post
    Developing and printing is something I found to be personal. In the class I am taking the instructor tries to press her eyes on us. In other words she tells us what looks good to her and tries to push that on us. What looks good to me does not look good to her. I am slowly finding my own feel of what I think is right to me. Like John said, my individual technique

I will relate what an early mentor said to me: "you think you are being creative and all you're doing is making a mess."

At a later time, a grizzled, cigar-smoking darkroom rat told me: "if you have to shit glass to get a good print, you're not exposing and developing correctly."

They were both right. And what I said to OP is that the technique is correct if it gives you an EASILY PRINTABLE negative that make a print that says what you want to say. For the life of me, I cannot see why so many posters on APUG are having so many problems with just the simple task of getting properly exposed, evenly developed, clean negatives. Basic photographic craftsmanship is not all that difficult. Harrumph!!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it looks good also. An instructor in college told me my negs were too dense but I liked the way they printed. He said snow can't be gray but I said if it's in shadow it is gray not white. The point is if the neg prints to your liking then it is a good neg.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin