Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,837   Online: 788

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LIGHT BULBS???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I understand it, the law mandating the use of non-incandescent lighting in the US (which will not take effect for some time yet) applies only to lamps for lighting. Bulbs for specialty applications - like projection lamps, miniature lamps used for indicators, enlarging lamps, lamps for scientific instruments and the like - would still be available as long as there is a demand. The law also only applies to the US, and most incandescent lamps are made outside the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    The pendulum will swing back once people realize what the mercury in compact fluorescent lights leaching in landfill will do to their unborn children.
    Conventional tubular fluorescent bulbs have been in widespread use in the US for more than 60-70 years. They also contain much more mercury, and in a more difficult form to manage, than compact fluorescent bulbs and no one appears to be at all exercised about that.

Coal-fired power plants currently put far more mercury into the environment than is contained in all of the fluorescent bulbs in use around the world. And no one has become concerned about that one either.

Actually, I would predict that the current compact fluorescent bubble is a transient effect. White LEDs will be commercially viable within 10 years and are the more likely long-term solution.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used 75-100 watt vanity globes with B&W for years without a problem. Much cheaper than the PH211 bulb my MF enlarger uses.
    There was a thread here not long ago on how to build an LED head for large format. I can't remember where but copied down the supplier and am attempting to build a head for an old 5x7 Elwood.
    Even LED's have manufacturing by-products which I'm sure the tree huggers will glom onto in the future. They are a vocal minority so maybe the majority should become more vocal.
    I hope this is not off topic and apologize if it is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just so long as they're working on an LED version of the ELH and EYA I'm a happy camper. Meantime I think I'm going to supply myself with enough to join Bill on the tarmac!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    From here in Europe we have the impression that the replacement efforts are being headed by the manufacturers. Simply for profit. The halogen bulbs will probably last a while longer though, at least until LED's catch up with the light output vs. cost.

The side-effect is that there will be no factories producing ordinary tungsten globe bulbs due to economies of scale, which has a direct effect on the availability of the almost-identical enlarger bulbs. Philips (big manufacturer in Europe) has already stopped a lot of their production. It might be a good moment to come up with a white (or coloured, for multigrade use?) LED kit and produce it for re-sale, leaving the manufacture of adapters for particular enlargers up to the individual.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Conventional tubular fluorescent bulbs have been in widespread use in the US for more than 60-70 years. They also contain much more mercury, and in a more difficult form to manage, than compact fluorescent bulbs and no one appears to be at all exercised about that.

Coal-fired power plants currently put far more mercury into the environment than is contained in all of the fluorescent bulbs in use around the world. And no one has become concerned about that one either.

Actually, I would predict that the current compact fluorescent bubble is a transient effect. White LEDs will be commercially viable within 10 years and are the more likely long-term solution.
    White LED's are already commercially available, I have a new bicycle light sitting here to go on my wife's bicycle, it uses an LED, I have a white LED flash light as well, both are 5w and put out quite a bit of light. I have a set of patio lights that also use white LED's. It's more bluish then the yellowish incandescent bulb flash light, but that is not entirely a bad thing, they are actually whiter.

I think for enlargers, what is a more likely development is to move to 3 LEDs in red, green and blue, then use a ASIC to control the voltage to each lamp, if you want more yellow light you increase the voltage to the red and green LEDs while reducing it to the blue LED.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    I'm not panicing -- but I have a couple of enlarger bulbs secreted away, just in case the paranoid tree-huggers manage to do away with all of them in their rightous lunacy.

I don't sound bitter, do I?

Mike
    I hear that. I'm sick and tired of the ecofascist minority forcing their agenda on the rest of us.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    The pendulum will swing back once people realize what the mercury in compact flourescent lights leaching in landfill will do to their unborn children.
    One of the reasons it's best to recycle your CFL bulbs when they finally do burn out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    One of the reasons it's best to recycle your CFL bulbs when they finally do burn out.

In an ideal world that would be true, but we don't live in an ideal world. Now the green idiots have forced CFL bulbs on everyone there will be millions who will just throw old CFL bulbs in the trash. At least with the old incandescent bulbs there was no pollution risk if they ended up in landfill. They were easier and cheaper to recycle too, with no need for hazardous waste treatment.

Forcing CFLs on everyone is so short-sighted it beggars belief.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

bulbs

thanxs everyone for the info....went ahead and bought a bunch anyway....and I still have 2 aristo cold lights that are going strong after 20 years
    Best, Peter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin