Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,365   Online: 848

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LIGHT BULBS???

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Conventional tubular fluorescent bulbs have been in widespread use in the US for more than 60-70 years. They also contain much more mercury, and in a more difficult form to manage, than compact fluorescent bulbs and no one appears to be at all exercised about that.

Coal-fired power plants currently put far more mercury into the environment than is contained in all of the fluorescent bulbs in use around the world. And no one has become concerned about that one either.

Actually, I would predict that the current compact fluorescent bubble is a transient effect. White LEDs will be commercially viable within 10 years and are the more likely long-term solution.
    True but now we are talking about EVERY light bulb in North America and industry and schools etc are way more likely to dispose of them correctly.
    Such as this: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=55213
    Regards
    Bill
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just one old style bulb will release more mercury into the enviroment than one CFL if you use coal for the power to run the bulb.

see

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...et_Mercury.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Just one old style bulb will release more mercury into the enviroment than one CFB if you use coal for the power to run the bulb.
    Says who?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Of course I am sensitized. In Ontario we had an outbreak of Minamata's disease in an aboriginal community in 1970 and, apropos to APUG, w Eugene Smith was instrumental in publicizing the nature of this terrible environmental problem. We have a limit on the amount of Great Lakes fish to be consumed of two fish meals a week.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    Just one old style bulb will release more mercury into the enviroment than one CFL if you use coal for the power to run the bulb.

see

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...et_Mercury.pdf
    Maybe burning coal and imbibing mercury are both bad for you.

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    And in the frozen north we will have to make up the loss of heat "wasted" with incandescent bulbs. Probably by burning fossil fuels or using more electricity.
    Jeez I have got myself in a dither, I'd better go for a walk

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So...hmm...I think what I'm hearing is I should stock up on tungsten bulbs, mercury, and some coal, just to be safe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have an enlarger that uses conventional 'opal glass' bulbs, it probably does make sense to have a reserve supply. Not because of the threat of any government-mandated switch to alternate technology, but rather because the major manufacturers of that technology are abandoning the market to the low-cost, high-volume shops in Asia who only do standard 60 and 100 w household bulbs. Those market pressures are far more likely to impact on you ability to find a replacement bulb in the near future than is any kind of government-enforced regulation. The last bulb I bought (a spare, from Freestyle, about two years ago) was wicked expensive!

When you ARE the niche market, you just have to get used to paying the high prices.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    1) the folks in europe will be faced witha ban on tungsten bulbs for lighting - I think in 2012. At that point the sbility to make conventional bulbs will likly fade.
    2) LED will replece CFL rather shortly I would guess. The CFL have to be designed so that they stop working when they will no longer start, the way most makers have done that is to have a component in the ballast burn out- resulting in smoke and sometime flames. Make sure you turn off the power and wait for it to cool before replecing.
    3) Hologen is going to be permitted in Europe, so the technology will exist to make the ELH and it's friends.
    4) I recently got a LED lamp inteded to replece the common 12V 50W hologen from futurlec. <http://www.futurlec.com/LED_Lamps.shtml> Did not seem so bright when tested.
    5)it is hard to find an LED with good colour rendering.
    SO you would not be totaly out of line to put a few bulbs away. They SHOULD be still available but why risk it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin