Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,597   Online: 847

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Powdered fixer is also ammonium thiosulfate. The Rapid Fixer is just more concentrated.
    That's news to me.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Powdered fixer is also ammonium thiosulfate. The Rapid Fixer is just more concentrated.
    Most powdered fixers are in fact based on sodium thiosulfate, not ammonium thiosulfate. Fixers based on the latter almost invariably ship as liquids. I don't know of any powdered commercial ammonium thiosulfate fixers offhand, although it's conceivable there are some that I don't know about. It's also possible to compound a rapid fixer from sodium thiosulfate and add ammonium ions via another chemical, but I don't know if any commercial fixers use this approach, and if they do whether they ship in powder form. In any event, those ammonium ions are important for the rapidity of rapid fixers' action; it's not just being more concentrated that makes a fixer a rapid fixer.

There are lots of APUG threads on fixers, many of which cover these issues in detail. I haven't perused all of these threads recently, but some or all of the below might be of interest:

I just did a Google search on APUG to find these threads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin