Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,759   Posts: 1,484,013   Online: 1195

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Developing Kodak T-Max400

I am brand new to developing my own film. I was looking at fixers and saw that there is hardening and non-hardening fixer. Does T-max400 need the hardening fixer? Any help would be great, thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    TMAX 400 is a modern film that doesn't need a hardening fixer, so use whatever is convenient for you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I use 'odak Indicator SB. Film takes about 2.5 min to clear. I fix for 5.5 min and agitate same as developer.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No you don't need hardening fixer. But as with anything gelatin, it can only withstand so much stress and impact, so I suggest to use care whatever fixer you decide on.
    Something you will notice with Tmax films is that they will have a pink / magenta cast when it comes out of the fixer. You can fix it for longer to eliminate the cast (just time it, see how long it takes) or you should be able to wash it out afterward. The pink cast will not hurt your printing any, but if you're like me it'll drive you nuts anyway. So with Tmax films I fix for seven minutes until the capacity of the fixer is spent.
    I agitate continuously during fixing. With a daylight tank it's a good workout. And congratulations on your film of choice. It's excellent product.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks guys! I figured I should check before beginning to develop film. Thomas: yeah I heard from my friend who got me into photography that T-max film was really good. Also, this may be a stupid question but what is the difference between hardening and non-hardening fixer? Do some types of film just need hardening fixer? Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Seamonster,
    Hardener is a chemical that hardens the film so it is less easily damaged. Hardener can be added to the stop bath; to the fixer; or even used as a seperate bath. Many films have hardener already incoporated in the emulsion.
    It might have it's downsides--overhardening of your film can make it brittle, I think. And maybe a bit harder to wash out all the fixer. But it has been around a long time. More often than not, I use a hardening fixer for my film. I do not use a hardening fixer for my paper.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    John,
    thanks for the information.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The one thing you do want is a rapid fixer. Plain old hypo (sodium thiosulfate), as in powdered fixer, can barely fix T-MAX films. You want a rapid fixer, based on ammonium thiosulfate.

Shooter
    35mm
    ahh ok, that's another thing I wasn't sure about. Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    The one thing you do want is a rapid fixer. Plain old hypo (sodium thiosulfate), as in powdered fixer, can barely fix T-MAX films. You want a rapid fixer, based on ammonium thiosulfate.
    Powdered fixer is also ammonium thiosulfate. The Rapid Fixer is just more concentrated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin