Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,610   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Concerning the fluid loads, same approach as mine Oren. You do know that the machines CAN be repaired at Omega-Satter?

Ed

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Concerning the fluid loads, same approach as mine Oren. You do know that the machines CAN be repaired at Omega-Satter?

Ed
    No personal experience with Omega-Satter yet, but much has been written here and the LF Forum about L-o-n-g delays and very much higher prices than the Ann Arbor Jobo days.

I was given a CPP-2 to use as back up parts when the owner discovered an overload heat switch, which had burned out, was $80 and must be ordered from Germany. The owner went back to trays.

Keeping the weight of the fluids low is difficult if you use Rollo Pyro. The instructions for the developer are for a Liter of water mixed with 15ml A and 30 ml B solutions.
    I use this for 8x10 Expert and 7x17 in a combination of 2830 and 2560 tanks.

Are you aware that Jobo sells two kinds of grease for all the moving parts and gears? Instructions come with the grease. As with most things, proper maintenance = longer life.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    You do know that the machines CAN be repaired at Omega-Satter?
    That's great, and I hope they are able to keep at it for a good while yet.

I've dealt with them re Jobo only once, just after the transition, when I needed a replacement Lift arm. The customer service person I spoke with tried to be helpful, but at the time they were still getting stuff into inventory, waiting for other stuff from Europe, and just generally figuring out which way was up. It took a while to get what I needed. I don't know what the situation is now.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have been using a Jobo 3006 tank on a motor base that only turns one way for a few years now. I have probably run nearly 200 sheets of 320TXP and FP4 this way. I always let the tank roll one way. I don't bother to flip the drum. I've never any trouble with un-even development (except when I've mistakenly loaded two sheets in the same tube... ).

O-S is expensive. However, the "technician" there is usually very helpful, and normally pleasant to deal with. I am using the recommended Jobo grease. I received the unit with an improperly installed transfer gear which had to be replaced. In addition, I broke the gear myself once by absent mindedly trying to mount an expert drum on a motor that was already turning!! Installing such gears is not difficult. O-S usually has the part on hand, but if not, one has to wait quite a while.

Do any of you turn the motor of while operating the lift to empty chemicals? Someone told me that turning the motor off while using the lift, and starting the motor again when the tank was re-engaged, "might"prevent any possible problems with the gears.

Interesting about the one way rotation Brad. Is the roller base ON the CPP/CPA processor, or is the base "free standing"?

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Interesting about the one way rotation Brad. Is the roller base ON the CPP/CPA processor, or is the base "free standing"?

Ed
    I cannot afford a Jobo machine... I use a simple motor base intended for use with Color print drums. I think mine is a Unicolor...(or, is it a Beseler?). Anyway, it was designed with the smaller diameter color print drums in mind so, it orginally changed directions too frequently for the larger diameter Jobo Expert drums. My drum wasn't quite making it all the way around...and, I did have un-even development in that case! So, I removed the little switch thingy inside that was changing directions...and now, it always goes in one direction!

At first I did the "flip the drum every minute" business....soon got tired of that and deceided to just let it go and see what happens. Contrary to conventional wisdom...there was no issue. I don't know if it is just the peculiar way I use the drum or what...maybe, if I used a slightly different volume of chems, I would observe the uneven development that so many otheres insiste is a probelm...but, I never have.

I actually do think there is a dependency on the volume of chemistry or the geometry difference between the six hole 3006 and the five hole 3010 (and...3005?).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do any of you turn the motor of while operating the lift to empty chemicals?
    I don't. The trick, of course, is to time the up and down so that uncoupling and coupling occur during the brief pause when the motor changes direction. I guess if you were running it non-stop in a single direction you would have to turn off the motor.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    “Do any of you turn the motor of while operating the lift to empty chemicals?”

I would think that would add undo wear on the switch and motor. That is only a guess. By not doing that the motor runs at the set speed for the duration of the process as opposed to starting and stopping multiple times. With Rollo Pyro following the instructions that would be:
    dump prewash
    dump developer
    dump developer wash once
    dump developer wash twice
    dump fix
    dump fix wash once fast
    dump fix wash twice fast
    dump ten changes of fix wash at two minute intervals

That would be 17 on and off of the motor as opposed to one on and off for the event. I don't think that would be good for it multiplied by however many times you develop film

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a CPA-2. I use the 3005 (10-4x5) and 3010 (5-8x10) drums. My dev. of choice is Rollo Pyro. I have processed over 900 sheets in the last 7-8 years. The CPA-2 was acquired used. The only "problem" was solution not reaching the base side. I now "wet" load and the problem disappeared.
    Michael

Thanks....what drums to you use on which Jobo model?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Originally Posted by Mahler_one
    Do any of you turn the motor of while operating the lift to empty chemicals?

That is not necessary. I do take some care when lowering the drum after a dump cycle. I time it, waiting for the cogwheel to change directions so it is essentially stopped and then lower the drum so it does not make the loud snapping noise. I know that is not supposed to hurt anything but I have to believe that something would wear out after thousands of iterations.

I just received and old CPA-2 from a friend who is out of photography. Looks to be an earlier model than mine and not as well cared for. The cogwheel is white plastic and appears well worn. I have not fired it up yet.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin