Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,516   Online: 890

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tips for Combiplan T dev. tank/120 roll spools

....as i said....anyone have any tips for using the Combiplan T to develop 4 x 5 film???? its gonna be my first times using it.....

...........also....which is THE spool to get for developing 120 rolls....I'd like a brand recommendation.....I currently have plastic normal ones you adjust to sixe from 35mm to 120 format made by Paterson......

I remember struggling getting the film around the spool properly last time I did it a few years back....so was wondering whether there was now a great new invention for it!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi, with the Combiplan, practice loading with some old negs in the daylight beforehand, taking notice of how much pressure you put on with the top film holder thingy. (I've had no problems except once when I pushed it down too far). Also, be gentle with your inversions. Make a note of how long it takes to fill and empty the tank - this needs to be taken into account with your development times. Consider doing a test run using a couple of less important shots. In all,it's a fine little system.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a great system for me. Are you buying the tanks new? If so, then use an exacto knife or any other sharp thin bladed knife to cut or scrape any leftover plastic still hanging on the top edge of the tank from when it was formed in the mold. This may get in the way when sealing the lid and cause excessive leaking problems. It still may leak just a bit, but it's not an issue. I have three tanks and I mark the tank and the lid so as to always use the same lid with the same tank.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the CombiPlan tank and I like it. All the advice you've gotten so far is right on the mark. Can't really add anything useful to it.

If you like the plastic tank for roll film, then get one of these reels. The extra wide flanges make loading 120 film a breeze. The usual caveats about plastic reels apply. They must be clean and absolutely dry before you load them or else they'll jam. Keeping them clean means rinsing them off immediately after use and not letting any chemistry dry on them. No need for scrubbing.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    snip... If so, then use an exacto knife or any other sharp thin bladed knife to cut or scrape any leftover plastic still hanging on the top edge of the tank from when it was formed in the mold. ...snip
    I used 500 grit wet/dry sandpaper with water to smooth the area where the top seals. No leaks! Seemed a little safer than scraping. YMMV

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin