Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,763   Online: 857

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Re-Introduce film packs ?

I just thought I'd throw this idea out there and see what response it gets.Has anyone thought about getting a film manufacturer to make a update version of the film pack of old.I'm sure almost all large format camera owners(2x3 to 5x7 maybe) that have used one of these handy,dandy items in the past or know of someone who has.There are usually quite a few film pack holders and old,out of date film packs floating around on auction sites such as e-bay.

Since the instant load films have been discontinued or are in short supply, maybe this would be a viable alternative.

Any thoughts ?.

Doug

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's a topic that comes up occasionally here and on the LF forum. Short answer: not a chance. They're too labor intensive to manufacture for the potential demand given alternatives, would require coating sheet film on thin base, and would require current filmpack holders.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolman View Post
    I just thought I'd throw this idea out there and see what response it gets.Has anyone thought about getting a film manufacturer to make a update version of the film pack of old.I'm sure almost all large format camera owners(2x3 to 5x7 maybe) that have used one of these handy,dandy items in the past or know of someone who has.There are usually quite a few film pack holders and old,out of date film packs floating around on auction sites such as e-bay.

Since the instant load films have been discontinued or are in short supply, maybe this would be a viable alternative.

Any thoughts ?.

Doug
    The only B&W film I use any more is 5x4 TMY-2. If I could buy it in film packs, that would probably be the only way I'd buy it. So much nicer, so convenient, and light weight!

Same for 160Portra. That would be sweet.

That said, I'm not holding my breath. If they won't even bother to revive the popular readyload format, what chance do filmpacks have?

Still, I bought readyloads while I could. I would certainly buy film packs given the chance.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Film flatness is a problem with film packs, given the very thin (think 120) film base. Kodak decided to punt them back when products cross-subsidized each other, so there's no chance they would come back.

I'm sure that Kodak would be glad to sell you a master roll of TMY-2, in 120 thickness, and custom cut it to size. Then you just need to buy and assemble thousands of film packs, and sell them before the film expires.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never used them, so can't say much about them. But, I don't have any complaints using regular holders with my Sinar or Zone VI.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I tried a few old 2x3" filmpacks once. Didn't care for the tabs accumulating in my pockets as I was shooting, and there was often a little paper left on the sheets that would float out in the developer, though I'm sure it was just a matter of practice to overcome that.

In 4x5" I could see the attraction, because you could carry a lot of film in a compact form. Was it 12 or 16 sheets in a pack the size of a Grafmatic?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, I think it was 12 sheets in 4x5 packs. Also, the sheets were larger than 4x5. The length was about 4.5 inches to facilitate the connection of those tabs and to allow easier transport.

They allowed very good shooting speed when needed. Very good for action photography. Almost like having a roll of 4x5 roll film with 12 exposures.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used 4X5 film packs,there really nice except if you keep notes on the pull out paper the paper is just dangling there while your working,bust suited for press camera an range finder focusing. The negs are very thin and get ripples along the egdes,had to use a glass carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now I remember, the neg stays on the pull out tab when you take the pack apart to develop them. That way each individual neg can be processed accordingly by the notes wrote on the tab.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would just like a few Ilford emulsions in a Quickload type format. As it is we now have Acros as the only packet loaded B&W film. Luckily I like it. But I like FP4+ as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin