Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,499   Online: 1017

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

How to avoid this marks....

Hi everybody,

Since my moving from a place to another, my developments have issues, like the marks you can see on the neg joined here.
    These marks appear after drying , but they are in the emulsion.

I am clearly fed up with it! It occurs with all the developers I use, but only on my Fortepan 400!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sans-titre---1.jpg   Sans-titre----1.jpg  
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is it the same emulsion batch Fortepan 400 as the Fortepan 400 you used before?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes, the same...the last ever made before closure

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know much about Forte film, other than the few sheets of ISO 400 film I used in 4x5 a long time ago. But I have used a fair amount of their paper, and I got hold of some of the last batch of Elegance Polygrade paper they made before they closed, and it had problems with it too.
    I have a feeling that in that last batch they let go of their quality control, because they didn't exactly have a reputation to save. They were closing down, no returns possible. Maybe I'm paranoid like that, but none of the Forte papers I tried up until that point had any of those problems.
    Food for thought? Perhaps you just need to forget about Fortepan and move on to using other materials. You will run out sooner or later anyway.

Or learn how to create digital negatives.... But that's a discussion for other forums.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I don't know much about Forte film, other than the few sheets of ISO 400 film I used in 4x5 a long time ago. But I have used a fair amount of their paper, and I got hold of some of the last batch of Elegance Polygrade paper they made before they closed, and it had problems with it too.
    I have a feeling that in that last batch they let go of their quality control, because they didn't exactly have a reputation to save. They were closing down, no returns possible. Maybe I'm paranoid like that, but none of the Forte papers I tried up until that point had any of those problems.
    Food for thought? Perhaps you just need to forget about Fortepan and move on to using other materials. You will run out sooner or later anyway.

Or learn how to create digital negatives.... But that's a discussion for other forums.

- Thomas
    Hi Thomas,
    I'm sorry to hear of your bad batch of Forte paper. I purchased a large amount of the paper you mentioned when it was still plentiful in the stores, such as B&H, and noticed the gold colored packaging was mixed with somewhat generic looking white packaging. I haven't had any quality issues yet - "knock-on-wood".

I've heard of digital negatives and can't imagine what one would do with those. Can they somehow be used for, or converted to, printing in the wet process? Just curious.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Taking digital neg discussion off line. I'll PM you. Sorry folks... I should have kept the d-word out of it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Aurelien,

Could this be due to condensation (using frozen film before it warmed up properly)?

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hello everybody, and thank you.

First my question is to avoid this marks at development, not to make digital negative. Thanks anyway for the idea.

Second, to Neal, I don't know. I keep my film frozen, yes. But I use to put them out of fridge one week before use.

Emulsion is constallated of black dots... It seems to be an emulsion defect, but I don't know.

the analog place to be

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin