Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,568   Online: 952

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ilford PQ Universal vs. Multigrade

I recently spent several sessions in the darkroom reprinting an older negative from which I wanted to get a nice, subtle sepia tone. I used Ilford MGIV, developed in Ilford Multigrade developer, bleached and toned in scratch-mixed bleach and thiourea toner.

My finished prints seemed to take on a persistent olive hue that I had a terrible time with, since I wanted a nice brown with no greenish cast. I finally selenium toned the prints after the sepia, which did kill the green to some extent.

Older prints that exhibit the nice brown tone that I was looking for were developed in Ilford PQ developer. I recently switched to Multigrade developer and I am wondering if that is what introduced the olive cast. I don't have any PQ left with which to make comparision prints, and I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice.
    Thanks,
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never used PQ universal on MGIV but I did use it on their warmtone paper. I got warmer image than multigrade dev. It's only a subtle difference, but it's there.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin