Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,842   Online: 890

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A year or so ago I used a bit of Maco Cube 400 (a cousin/clone of the Efke bunch) I have never seen so much curl in a negative. Just a couple of weeks ago I dug one of these negatives out... (It had been stored pressed flat for over a year.) It was like trying to load a wet noodle into the negative carrier. It is a sweet film, though and gives some very nice prints from what seems to be very low density.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    Interesting discussion about the curling....are such curling issues also to be found with the Efke/Adox sheet film Ron?

Ed
    I have been using Efke PL50 in 4x5, always flat as a fritter when dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cube 400 is a TSF film on blue Polyester layer without any non-curling layer.

The R3 (since 2004) is the same (TSF) film on clear Polyester with double non curling layer en look there is a huge difference in handling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I air dry Rollei Pan 25 and it flattens in sleeves after a short time. I hang it up to dry with a weight on the end of the roll. Efke / Adox curls more than Rollei Pan 25.

Sandy what have you worked out for development with Pyrocat MC? Way back I got very good with Panatomic X and Rodinal but it was a matter of fitting the scene to the film, when it did it was bliss. I am determined to work with Rollei Pan 25, the quality control is excellent.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rollei Pan 25 has a double non-curling layer.

Here an attempt with a W665 (Windisch) ultra fine grain developer and Rollei Pan 25 on 35mm. With this Ortho Phenylenediamine developer no grain is visible and nothing to focus on with my Peak focusser on 40x50cm:

A small part of the negative:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Curt,

I am developing the Rollei Pan 25 in two-bath Pyrocat-MC. For both working A and working B I dilute the stock solutions 1:10 and develop at 72F for five minutes in each, with *no water rinse* between the working A and B solutions. I agitate for the first thirty seconds, and then for ten seconds every minute thereafter. No pre-soak is used. After development I stop in a 1/2 strength acetic acid bath, then fix for six minutes in TF-3.

The 1:10 dilution may seem strong, considering that with normal development we use a 1:1:100 dilution of Pyrocat-MC. However, if you do the calculations you will find that there is less of the reducer (catechol) in one liter of working A than there is metol in one liter of working A of divided D23. You get an average gradient of about .55 with the 1:10 dilution. For a slightly lower average gradient you could go to 1:20.

I have compared results with two-bath development Pyrocat-MC and Rollei RLS, which is recommended for this film, and found that I get more film speed with Pyrocat than Rollei RLS, and grain and sharpness appear just as good, if not better.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I air dry Rollei Pan 25 and it flattens in sleeves after a short time. I hang it up to dry with a weight on the end of the roll. Efke / Adox curls more than Rollei Pan 25.

Sandy what have you worked out for development with Pyrocat MC? Way back I got very good with Panatomic X and Rodinal but it was a matter of fitting the scene to the film, when it did it was bliss. I am determined to work with Rollei Pan 25, the quality control is excellent.
    Last edited by sanking; 04-12-2009 at 11:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

David and others:

With reference to sheet film base ( and, if appropriate, the emulsion ), is the "new" Adox 25, 50, and 100 ASA film identical to the Efke film? If Mirko is watching, can you respond Mirko?

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    None of the sheet film versions curl.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    David and others:

With reference to sheet film base ( and, if appropriate, the emulsion ), is the "new" Adox 25, 50, and 100 ASA film identical to the Efke film? If Mirko is watching, can you respond Mirko?

Ed
    Yes, it is just rebranded. I have both versions of the 100. I don't use the 25 or 50.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

OK...thanks David and others.

Ed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin