Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,013   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Cure for Curl on 120 Efke 25 and Rollei Pan?

I have been shooting some Efke 25 and Rollei Pan 25 in 120 format with my Mamiya 7II and Fuji GW690III to see if these films offer any advantage over Fuji Acros Tmax-100 in this size. I am developing both in Pyrocat-MC, using two-bath development to tame the high contrast. Results are very nice and I am pleased with the fine grain and detail in these films. Unfortunately, both films have a lot of curl. Is this curl permanent, or will it disappear with time if the film is stored in negatives sheets with pressure from the top?

Sandy King

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I had no curl problem (though my density was a little low; I guessed at the time in D23) when hung by a large clothespin until fully dry.

I think the fastest way to kill a curl is to re-wet and dry, but I believe the curl will subside if given the dictionary treatment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Efke films have been always curly.

The Rollei Pan 25 film has a polyester layer with double non-curling layer. However polyester curls much more then tri-acetate. Especially the way and time schedule the film has been drying (humidity) is of big importance of the curl of a polyester film. Approx. 2 hours schould be the drying time at room temperature (20 degrees C/68 F). If you're drying too quickly polyester is curling like hell.

1 1/2 -2 hours + a resonable weight is enough to put them later in a sleeve and get rid of any curl.

Best regards,

Robert

(Hopefully you do not have a curl syndrome now)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy;

The curl is inherent in the emulsion shrinkage during processing which causes curl inward towards the emulsion side. We called the curl "piping" due to the seeming formation of a pipe of film. It is corrected in manufacture by addition of anti-curl agents in the emulsion, the base or both at the time of manufacture. If it is out of control, then there may be batches that curl and batches that do not or batches that vary in the propensity to curl.

Many of our experimental coatings curled a lot due to the lack of special agents in them during the early test phase of a project.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ron,

Is "piping" permanent or will the film eventually flatten if left under pressure in negative sleeves for a while? If I knew that the film would flatten in a week or so I would wait to scan them as the curl really complicates my normal procedure.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy;

I'm sorry, but that is one of the unanswerable questions in the universe.

It depends on emulsion thickness, additives in the emulsion / film support / undercoat package and a number of other factors such as processing and storage conditions. The only way to find out is to store the film as flat as possible and see if it uncurls.

If that does not work or if you are in a hurry, sometimes steaming the emulsion side of the film gently will relax the curl and sometimes steaming the base side will do it again depending on the above parameters. If you are careful, you can do this over and over until you exhaust all possible combinations with no change or get a favorable result.

Be careful though. Some emulsions will crack or craze if you try flattening it. Emulsions without enough stress relief or proper hardening will be particularly prone to this. Try the flattening on a less desirable image or strip.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have used a lot of Efke 400 in 35mm and it curls like crazy. I put the negs in sleaves and then in my hot press (naturally the heat is off) and this tames them a bit. The curl never goes away and I find that I have to enlarge using glass carriers. Since you are scanning I am not sure if this is an option or not.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have curling issues with any EFKE film whatsoever, however I do use a rather heavy spring clip (one of the bigger 6" long metal ones) when drying after my first roll curled like crazy and I figured it was worth a try.

Interesting discussion about the curling....are such curling issues also to be found with the Efke/Adox sheet film Ron?

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I hang the film with a weighted clip and store it flat in a glassine sleeve, and it eventually flattens.

There is no problem with Efke sheet film curling. The base is different.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin